Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Disk Scrubber

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
Can anyone recommend a hard disk scrubber that really works? Can a program like that be found on the Internet for free, something like CCleaner, or do they all require you to buy them?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi konakula29er.

Do you mean something like DBAN?

:)

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Hi konakula29er.

Do you mean something like DBAN?

:)

I don't think so. I understand it is possible for people to recover, or determine somehow, what has been on your PC even though you may have deleted items in the recycle bin. I'm trying to figure out if you can ONLY use a disk scrubber to completely erase the whole hard drive, or can you do it selectively and just erase certain items of a personal :) nature?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
DBAN will wipe your hard drive, you can set it to run many times. It wipes it by "writing" data and then "deleting" the data, rendering any files you had on there not recoverable except by a professional company. If you wish to completely remove any trace of your data, then DBAN it (perhaps 10 times if you're paranoid) and then physically destroy the drive.

I don't think you can "scrub" selected parts of a hard drive.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
DBAN will wipe the data to multiple levels, including DOD. It will not wipe out selective parts, just the whole disk. The problem with selective parts is knowing where the data is. You can write a program to do this and wipe out the disk by partitions. The main thing is the multiple passes and the pattern which needs to be used.