Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Guidance! (have budget and majority of desired parts)

• Please log in to reply

spoonmaster

spoonmaster

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I have no experience at all building computers and what Im looking for is a top of the line gamming machine my budget is around 2500 or higher and here are the parts im gonna get:

2 8800 gtx oc video cards
e6850 processor intel
1000watt power supply
4 1gb memory sticks
250gb hard drive
dvd drives
floppy drive
asus p5e motherboard (questionable)

the questions i have are:

is that motherboard compatible/great?

what size case i need ot get to fit everything?

what other parts i need to build a computer like heatsinks/fans?

and if you can provide a very noob friendly link to putting all of this/configuring everything so it works, thanks.

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Where are you buying all of these parts? Newegg is a great place to buy the parts from. Could you send some links for all of the parts so we could take a better look on exactly what you are getting.

I would look into a better processor if you are willing to spend some more money. Like a quad core.

Also what OS are you gettting because Vista 32bit an only reconize up to ~3.25GB of RAM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Wait till mid november to upgrade, nVidia is releasing a new board called the 780i and likely have PCIe 2.0 slots.
Don't buy factory overclocked cards, you can easily overclock the cards yourself and save about 100$.
A 1KW PSU is overkill, no more then 850W should be needed.
The majority of mid sized ATX cases will fit this equipment, I recommend the Antec 900, because you PSU will be oversized and may cause issues if you are mounting it to the top of your case.
Do you plan on overclocking?
Floppy drives aren't really needed anymore, considering you now flash your BIOS within the OS.
James

spoonmaster

spoonmaster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
wow didnt notice util now my name got filtered to "spoonmaster" .............. anyway thanks for the help so far and jack I am getting pretty much all of them from newegg and gonna use whatever vista that can recognize the 4gb. I geuss I go with the quad anyway since im not really on a budget. Hmm aight i geuss ill wait for the 780i even though i want this dream computer now lol and ill get a lower power supply and that case you recommended. I do plan on overclocking even though I have 0 experience, but this site has alot of guides on the topic. The real problem I have though is putting it all together because I have no idea how and dont want to f things up because if i knew how i would start ordering these parts now

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
There is a lot to know when building a computer, I suggest doing a lot of googling and even buying a book or two at the local bookstore if you have a chance.
A 64 bit operating system can cause a lot of headaches because of the lack of support, if I were you I'd get the 32bit OS for now and upgrade to the 64bit version further down the road, it's a bit more costly but in the long run should save you time and fustration.
There are rumors servicing that the 780i chipset may be delayed, but regardless, I don't suggest you build till to read a little more into the subject.
If you have any questions or concerns, just give me a shout.
James

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
What games are you playing because some games are getting really good support for 64bit. Like Crysis. It is one of the first PC games that 64bit really benefits because of how much RAM can benefit the game because it is so intense in system requirments.

Edited by jackflash1991, 05 November 2007 - 06:34 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

What games are you playing because some games are getting really good support for 64bit. Like Crysis. It is one of the first PC games that 64bit really benefits because of how much RAM can benefit the game because it is so intense in system requirments.

Support is still too slim, if you look at a broader picture, many applications don't support 64bit, give it another year and it'll be another story. Till DDR3 becomes mainstream there won't be any pressure for companies to make their products 64bit compatible as the majority of consumers still cannot afford, nor do they need 4GB+.
James

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Agreed.