Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Low fps in games

• Please log in to reply

r1ps

r1ps

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello.

I have just bought myself a new a computer, it came whit 8600 GT, 3Gb RAM and AMD X2 +5000. I noticed I didnt 125 constant fps in cod2, even tho I got 125 constant whit my old computer that had ATi x850XT, 1 Gb RAM and AMD +3700.

I noticed the computer had a 350 W powersupply so I thought it would be because of that, so I bought myself a 600W OCZ GameXstream, I bought a 8800 GTS 320 Mb at the same time cause I felt that 8600 GT was not powerful enough.

Even tho whit these new upgrades I still dont get even 125 constant fps in cod2, does someone have eny ideas whats wrong?

Edited by r1ps, 05 November 2007 - 07:56 AM.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Your monitor probably has a refresh rate of 125hz, and the game you are playing probably utilizes vsync, therefore capping your framerate at 125fps. There are two reasons why you shouldn't worry about this:

1. The human eye cannot see much past 30fps.
2. If you disabled vsync (if possible) and your framerate increased, this could actually hurt visual performance, as no matter how many fps your GPU is churning out, your monitor can only display as many fps as its refresh rate. Therefore, you might experience visual tearing.

r1ps

r1ps

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Your monitor probably has a refresh rate of 125hz, and the game you are playing probably utilizes vsync, therefore capping your framerate at 125fps. There are two reasons why you shouldn't worry about this:

1. The human eye cannot see much past 30fps.
2. If you disabled vsync (if possible) and your framerate increased, this could actually hurt visual performance, as no matter how many fps your GPU is churning out, your monitor can only display as many fps as its refresh rate. Therefore, you might experience visual tearing.

So are you suggesting that the problem is in the game? I get these fps problems in eny other games like Counter Strike Source and Team Fortress 2.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Or he may be suggesting that you have vsync turned on for all your games...

r1ps

r1ps

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Or he may be suggesting that you have vsync turned on for all your games...

It is turned off in every game, just checked trough the nVidia control panel. Didnt see fps rising.

A friend of mine said that I should get myself a new processor, since the one I have now isnt enough for the 8800 GTS, could this be the problem?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Don't check through the nVidia control panel. Check the ingame settings. If there is no setting, the game might just have vsync locked on.

As you've ignored my previous post, I'll say this again. Why are you worrying about "only" getting 125fps. Anything above 25fps is completely playable, at 40fps it becomes silky smooth. And again, if your monitor has a 125hz refresh rate, it can only display 125fps, vsync or not. Vsync only makes it so that your graphics card isn't rendering frames faster than your monitor can display them.

My only advice to you is to return that 8800gts if you can. The 8800gt outperforms it at a lower price.

unizo

unizo

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Don't check through the nVidia control panel. Check the ingame settings. If there is no setting, the game might just have vsync locked on.

As you've ignored my previous post, I'll say this again. Why are you worrying about "only" getting 125fps. Anything above 25fps is completely playable, at 40fps it becomes silky smooth. And again, if your monitor has a 125hz refresh rate, it can only display 125fps, vsync or not. Vsync only makes it so that your graphics card isn't rendering frames faster than your monitor can display them.

My only advice to you is to return that 8800gts if you can. The 8800gt outperforms it at a lower price.

He's worried about it because with a 7600GS and a Pentium 4 3.0Ghz Prescott, I get higher FPS than he does.

As for the whole "Human eye can only see 30 FPS", it's rubbish, it all depends on the refresh rate and if the person has good eyes or not.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Did this new computer come with a new monitor by any chance? Does it have a larger resolution?
James

r1ps

r1ps

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Did this new computer come with a new monitor by any chance? Does it have a larger resolution?
James

Noup, I have the same old resolution that I used in my last computer.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Has performance improved in other games?
Your not going to notice an improvement after 35-40FPS, let alone 100 or more.
James

Edited by james_8970, 06 November 2007 - 03:50 PM.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
What program are you using to clock your FPS?

r1ps

r1ps

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

What program are you using to clock your FPS?

I use ingame fps shower.

unizo

unizo

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

With games like Call of Duty and Counter Strike in particular, FPS makes a big difference to the hit registration.

For example, in Counter Strike Source you can get 100 Tick servers, which means that the positions of the players are updated 100 times a second, this also goes for bullet fire.. BUT.. it only updated 100 times a second if you're getting 100 FPS at YOUR end.

In Call of Duty, higher FPS means you can fire certain guns faster and with less recoil, with 125 everything is smooth and hits register properly. It's even better with 250 (which is why he isn't happy with the FPS he's getting), it may look smooth with 30 to 40, but that means player positions and bullets are only being updated 30 to 40 times a second, giving you worse hit registration. Also with a constant 125 FPS, the physics become slightly "weird", allowing you to jump further, at 250 FPS you can jump higher, and at 333 you can get to places you normally can't with 125 or 250 (especially higher places).

Edited by unizo, 07 November 2007 - 07:55 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

With games like Call of Duty and Counter Strike in particular, FPS makes a big difference to the hit registration.

For example, in Counter Strike Source you can get 100 Tick servers, which means that the positions of the players are updated 100 times a second, this also goes for bullet fire.. BUT.. it only updated 100 times a second if you're getting 100 FPS at YOUR end.

In Call of Duty, higher FPS means you can fire certain guns faster and with less recoil, with 125 everything is smooth and hits register properly. It's even better with 250 (which is why he isn't happy with the FPS he's getting), it may look smooth with 30 to 40, but that means player positions and bullets are only being updated 30 to 40 times a second, giving you worse hit registration. Also with a constant 125 FPS, the physics become slightly "weird", allowing you to jump further, at 250 FPS you can jump higher, and at 333 you can get to places you normally can't with 125 or 250 (especially higher places).

Where are you getting this information? :)
James

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

He's worried about it because with a 7600GS and a Pentium 4 3.0Ghz Prescott, I get higher FPS than he does.

As for the whole "Human eye can only see 30 FPS", it's rubbish, it all depends on the refresh rate and if the person has good eyes or not.

Actually the human eye cannot capture more then 60FPS, its scientific fact. Though a very small portion of the population can see a difference between say, 40FPS and 55FPS.
James

Edited by james_8970, 07 November 2007 - 08:50 AM.