Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Low fps in games

• Please log in to reply

unizo

unizo

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Your not going to notice an improvement after 35-40FPS, let alone 100 or more.

With games like Call of Duty and Counter Strike in particular, FPS makes a big difference to the hit registration.

For example, in Counter Strike Source you can get 100 Tick servers, which means that the positions of the players are updated 100 times a second, this also goes for bullet fire.. BUT.. it only updated 100 times a second if you're getting 100 FPS at YOUR end.

In Call of Duty, higher FPS means you can fire certain guns faster and with less recoil, with 125 everything is smooth and hits register properly. It's even better with 250 (which is why he isn't happy with the FPS he's getting), it may look smooth with 30 to 40, but that means player positions and bullets are only being updated 30 to 40 times a second, giving you worse hit registration. Also with a constant 125 FPS, the physics become slightly "weird", allowing you to jump further, at 250 FPS you can jump higher, and at 333 you can get to places you normally can't with 125 or 250 (especially higher places).

Where are you getting this information? :)
James

Just stuff you pick up about games after playing them for a while. :)

If you ever load in to a Source server and type in net_graph 3, look at the "Out" bar for tickrate, it matches your FPS. :) If the server is 100 tick but you aren't getting 100 FPS, you won't be getting the full 100, only what your FPS is.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Well from what I can tell it is an incorrect assumption.
Games are based on mathematical calculations based on a number of things not including FPS. FPS are only the amount of frames viewed per second, the only time that the FPS could affect the equation would be when it gets unbearably low as there will be a delay between the time you press a button on your keyboard/mouse/game pad and when the action performed within the game as, in this case, the computer is having difficulties computing the information to run the game properly. While it's not directly changing the equation, it is causing a delay as the computer cannot process the incoming data fast enough.

When a button is pressed to fire a gun, it will fire at the same rate, doesn't matter if you have higher or lower FPS. This happens as the developer gave it a set rate to fire at, say, 5 bullets every second. When this number is set, there are no variables such as FPS that will affect this. Same goes for jumping, however in the case of jumping there are a few more variables, one of which is not the FPS.

However if it does fire according to the FPS of the computer there is likely a glitch in the game, but this is unlikely because of what I have mentioned above (unless there is some kind of mod). Game develloper strive to make a game an equal gaming experience no matter what the equipment it's played on. They do this to maximize the possible market for the game, should the developer choose to take the route you have mentioned there would be a backlash from within the gaming community and people with "lesser" computers would feel they should not purchase the game as they'd be at an unfair advantage.

As for this new GPU, have you compared you new GPU to your old GPU on modern games? I wouldn't be surprised that the 8x00 series drivers are not optimized to run this older game, because if it can run at 70FPS with it's current drivers there is no need to waste money on developing a newer driver that would create a greater FPS as it would not change the gaming experience of the particular game and it would be a waste of time, resources and money when more modern games need to be optimized as they only run at 20FPS on medium to high settings.

James

Edited by james_8970, 07 November 2007 - 03:42 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

Don't check through the nVidia control panel. Check the ingame settings. If there is no setting, the game might just have vsync locked on.

As you've ignored my previous post, I'll say this again. Why are you worrying about "only" getting 125fps. Anything above 25fps is completely playable, at 40fps it becomes silky smooth. And again, if your monitor has a 125hz refresh rate, it can only display 125fps, vsync or not. Vsync only makes it so that your graphics card isn't rendering frames faster than your monitor can display them.

My only advice to you is to return that 8800gts if you can. The 8800gt outperforms it at a lower price.

He's worried about it because with a 7600GS and a Pentium 4 3.0Ghz Prescott, I get higher FPS than he does.

As for the whole "Human eye can only see 30 FPS", it's rubbish, it all depends on the refresh rate and if the person has good eyes or not.

Actually the human eye cannot capture more then 60FPS, its scientific fact. Though a very small portion of the population can see a difference between say, 40FPS and 55FPS.
James

According to this article, the maximum fps the human eye can see is 72. It would be safe to assume that, since 72 is the absolute maximum, that most people can see between 30 and 60fps.

Also, it is pointless to compare your FPS to the OP's for (at least) two reasons:

1. As mentioned above, once you get above 72fps, it really doesn't matter.
2. You say that you get higher FPS than the OP with a lesser video card, but you can't compare FPS unless you are using the same resolutions and settings.

unizo

unizo

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm using a higher resolution and the same settings as him on Call of Duty 2.
I know people that are getting way over 500 FPS with the same card as him.
As for the "Incorrect Assumption", ask any hardcore competitive Call of Duty player, the M1 Garand fires faster at 250 FPS than it does at 125. All people that like the play on Jump maps use 125 FPS because it allows you to jump further.

Posted Image

Notice how in number 5, the OUT number matches the FPS in number 1.

You need 100 FPS to make use of a 100 Tick server, just because it shows you are receiving 100 from the server doesn't mean that you're sending 100 back. :)