Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PROBLEMS TURNING ON PC

• Please log in to reply

dezjay

dezjay

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Im not that technichally good with PC's and require some help
I have not had any problems with my PC in a year since buying it
The problem I have now is that when I turn the computer on the machine just beeps repeatedly, nothing works when it is plugged in (mouse,keybooard) and the monitor will not switch on, I have unplugged everything from the tower exept the power cable, but it keeps beeping, I have also plugged everything into another PC and they work fine so I no it is a problem with the tower

PLEASE help me, your help has been so usefull before

Advertisements

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Beeps are caused when there is something wrong with the hardware, give us the specs of your PC and I will look it up on google. Beeps are specific, for example you could have two short and one long. or something like that.

dezjay

dezjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
windows xp home, 512MB ram, pentium 4 (not sure on speed, but its quite fast)
ANd its 1 continuous beep lasting about 2 seconds, then stops for 2 seconds, then does it again ...ect...ect

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Download everest from my signature, then see what motherboard you have. under computer > summary > motherboard > motherboard name, tell me what is says.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Continuous beeping at startup in a pattern of short repeated, continuous beeping: "beep-beep-beep-beep..."
Most often indicates a problem with Over-Heating

You may have accumulated excess dust-bunnies that block the air-flow intake, or have clogged the heatsink of your CPU. Or a Fan has failed. Or other more specific problems.

If the above is true, you should not attempt to continue using the machine, until the problem is corrected.

If you are not comfortable opening up the tower case to have a look, you should take the machine to a local shop.
If you are OK with learning about the inside of your tower case, let us know and we can give some general problem-solving and cleanup tips.

If the beep pattern is different than above, please specify what it is and give us the exact Brand and Model of your machine for further research.

Best Regards

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts

ANd its 1 continuous beep lasting about 2 seconds, then stops for 2 seconds, then does it again ...ect...ect

Sounds like something is over-heating.
Stop using the machine until the problem is corrected.

Consider whether or not you want to open the case to investigate and correct the problem.
If not, it is off to a local shop for you.

Best Regards

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
In most cases the source of the beep is a problem either with the RAM or the video card. Please unplug the power cable, open the box and carefully remove the ram module(s). Wipe the contacts carefully with a soft cloth and clean the slots with a soft brush. Reseat the modules firmly. Make sure the notches at the bottom of the modules are in the right direction. Do not apply excessive force. Make sure the lmodules are locked properly in place. Reboot. If still no good disconnect the power again and carefully move the modules left anf right while pressing them carefully downward at the same time.

If you have more then one module repeat the procedure for each module. If the beep continues then you may have a faulty module.

If still no good you should do the same with the video card, if you have an add-on card (AGP, in your case). If you use an integrated card and you keep having the beep sound, you should try to install an add-on video card.

dezjay

dezjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Im ok with fiddling about insider my tower, I have done with my old systems, I know a bit but not much. just tell me what to do, I will get back to you after I have tried what was said above

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Like i said, download Everest from my signature and follow the prompts i gave you. All I want to know is what motherboard you have

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi Adrenaline,

1: the probability that the source of the beep is in the ram or video card is very high. There is no need to look for beep codes at this stage.

2: The computer is not bootable so Everest is useless.

3: If you still want to search for the codes ask dezjay to open the box and write down the make and model of the motherboard.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Quick solution fix:

Take the memory out of the slot its in now and put it in the other slot. Now see what happens.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

I have unplugged everything from the tower exept the power cable, but it keeps beeping, I have also plugged everything into another PC and they work fine so I no it is a problem with the tower

If only the power cable is left, and it's not the ram or graphics card, we have to rule out everything except the case and the PSU, right or wrong? I was under the presumption that beep codes are specific in what they are trying to tell you, that's why i asked for motherboard details. When you take everything out of it's slots, the system can still give beep codes, telling you to put memory into the slots. Not so? I once also has a bad case, that seemed to not switch on the entire PC, which had me going for weeks.

dezjay

dezjay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Loads of help as always guys..... problem was a collection of a HUGE amount of crap built up underneath the fan, and I chanced the 512mb dim for a spare one,
Thanks to all of you.
guess im going to have to keep cleaning the thing more often

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.