Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help

• Please log in to reply

fmlaur

fmlaur

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Here's what happens: after I click Start, then Turn off computer the screen where you can select stand by, turn off and restart doesn't appear! Instead it simply refreshes. So I have to turn off the computer using Task Manager. I also want to ask if closing the computer using task manager could harm the system or is it the same thing like closing it normally.
I just scanned the computer and I don't have any viruses.
Any help appreciated and thanks in advance.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Can't find any reference to your particular problem so far on google.
Shutting down from task manager will not harm your PC -- it's simply a different way of doing the same thing. It still shuts down properly.
What you could try is System Restore to a date before the problem was first noticed by you.
Another thing you could do is put a 'Shutdown' shortcut on the Desktop to save you the hassle of using Task Manager every time.
You don't need to install anything. The instructions are here: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=316

I know that's only a workaround rather than a proper fix, but I'm sure you'll find it more convenient until a fix is found.
You'll still need to use the Task Manager for a 'Restart' though.

Edited by pip22, 05 November 2007 - 11:43 AM.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
This condition "might" be a result of a group-policy setting.
Have a look here to investigate.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555449

Best Regards

fmlaur

fmlaur

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

This condition "might" be a result of a group-policy setting.
Have a look here to investigate.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555449

Best Regards

Unfortunately it's not that. I don't even have gpedit.msc in the system32 folder.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to use this link to Kelly's Korner, click on 267. Restore "Turn Off and Log Off" - Start Menu. Install the patch.

fmlaur

fmlaur

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
StyleXP seems to be the problem. After I uninstalled it I didn't have any more problems.