Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton AntiVirus 2000

• Please log in to reply

emmkay2

emmkay2

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
hiya! :)

need help understanding the problems my Gateway/Windows ME sys is having. i'm not a geek by any stretch of the imagination so would appreciate step-by-step help in understandable laymans terms.

NAV 2000 has been useless for a while now. when attempting to use/update, etc. receive msg as follows:
Nmain has caused an error in NMAIN.EXE.
Nmain will now close.

If you continue to experience problems
try restarting your computer.

restart changes nothing. would now like to completely erradicate NAV from my sys (since it's old anyway) and get some other (recommended) anti-virus software installed. no success @ uninstalling thru Add/Remove. tried to re-install using Gateway restore disks (so I could then uninstall). apparently, made matters worse. now receiving original msg along w/the following:
Norton Integrator

an unhandled exception has occurred...
The error was:
Unknown (0xC0000005)

also, now receiving msg @ uninstall attempt as follows:
Uninstall

unable to locate the installation log file 'C\ProgramFiles\NortonAnti-Virus\\nav95.isu'.

can i get NAV completely off? if yes, how? if not, how can i (or should i) uninstall and re-install from the Gateway disks i have? what should i replace it with -- and is there one out there that's FREE?

oh, yeah -- also tried to restore to an earlier restore point (i've also got major issues w/Word), but that didn't change anything for the better either.

have no idea if i've got a virus/worm/trojan, etc. and whether that's what's caused all the probs initially.

thanks again, in advance, for the help!

Edited by emmkay2, 05 November 2007 - 02:21 PM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I think you need to run the norton removal tool.

Full documentation here

Removal tool for your version can be obtain here: ftp://ftp.symantec.com/misc/consumer/Rnav2003.exe

Just download and run. If you have any questions please refer to the documentation. Of course I am available as well.

emmkay2

emmkay2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
hi, starjax -- thnx so much for the timely response!

i did read all the other posts here regarding the NAV probs and using the respective removal tools, and i even went to Symantec to check out the info there before posting here.

the reason i didn't use any of the removal tools listed there, or the links here (like the one you've given me) is that they all seem to pertain to NAV software other than the one installed on my PC, and i'm rather nervous about doing something where i might cause further harm.

before i use this removal tool would you (or someone else, if you're busy) kindly please confirm for me that this fix is indeed usable w/the NAV version that came pre-installed on my Gateway ME (Program Files/Common Files/Symantec Shared):

Norton System Works
Norton AntiVirus 2000
Norton Integrator
NMAIN.EXE
version 3.00.34
1/24/2000

i do appreciate your help, and i apologize if i'm seeming uncooperative. previously, i've always been in a position to afford to pay a good geek to fix any problems, but that isn't the case anymore. all these PC issues i've been having of late w/2 diff units makes me somewhat anxious, knowing i'm soooo not a geek.

emmkay2

emmkay2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
ok, not only am i so not a geek, i'm a dummy, too. :) :)

i should have read your documentation link before posting. i apologize profusely! it does appear that they have a removal tool that will work. i'll get on it straight away, although, for my older NSW product it looks like i'll have to manually uninstall.

i'll let you know of any success, and thnx again, so much!

(btw -- is the "pinned" info here on the various free anti-virus programs, and GTG's recommendations still current? are there any updates to that info and those recommendations?)

Edited by emmkay2, 06 November 2007 - 10:49 AM.

emmkay2

emmkay2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
well, Symantec's info turns out to be a bust for me because the link they have for manually uninstalling NSW 2000 (which, according to their directions is the only way i can remove NAV) is dead, and i can't find any further info on their site.

anyone have a/any suggestion/s (i can live with)?

i truly wouldn't care that much about Norton not working properly, but it's caused Word to stop working, and that's just a big pain in the patoot!

emmkay2

emmkay2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
i've done more research and did come up w/this good link thru a Google search:

http://service1.syma...8256df6006aacf0

for the manual uninstallation of NSW 2000.

however, it can only be done after manually disabling Script Blocking in NAV 2000 and unfortunately, the symantec link for doing that is also dead. i did find this link for disabling it in NAV 2001:

http://service1.syma...e..._nam&seg=hm

hopefully, it's the same proceedure, or nearly so for my 2000 version.

i've listed these links as they may help another, but mostly because the other Symantec links have so many dead parts to them. i hope that was a good thing to do.

no wonder good geeks get paid so much to help the rest of us! thnx! :)

Edited by emmkay2, 06 November 2007 - 11:57 AM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Use this: ftp://ftp.symantec.com/misc/consumer/Rnav2003.exe

This is the right tool to uninstall your product. I've used it before and you shouldn't have any issues.

emmkay2

emmkay2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
ok, starjax - i TY for the additional input & will do as you suggest.

i hadn't yet tackled the other manual fixes - couldn't breathe well after reading a total of 18 pages worth of symantec's 'fix.'

emmkay2

emmkay2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
TY, TY, TY, a 1000x TY, starjax!! it's removed - lock, stock & barrel! And so easy too! :) one problem down, several more to go. :)

now i'll re-install MS office and see if Word will work properly once again. will also need to install another anti-virus program, and anything else in that regard that would be appropriate. any definitive suggestions?

just how vulnerable am i w/o an anti-virus/spyware checker program? i mean, if i only use this PC to do word processing and the like, never logging onto the internet or using outlook, can i still be infected?

Edited by emmkay2, 06 November 2007 - 08:01 PM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
short answer is Yes, you can still get infected.

we have several that we recommend. The most recommended ones are avast and AVG Free

Advertisements

emmkay2

emmkay2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
TY again! i'll be sure and download one of them as soon as i return from OOT.

turns out after re-installing MS Office now that norton is gone, there's still some prob w/winword.exe and i still can't use Word. all the other Office features work except Word.

i've looked thru GTG posts on winword probs, but i don't read anything that sounds like it's the fix info i need. any suggestions?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
please provide the exact error or problem description for the Microsoft Word issue. Also what version of Microsoft Office is this?

emmkay2

emmkay2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
oh, yeah, sorry. :)

unfortunately, i'm away from that particular PC for a several days now, but i remember the error msg as follows:

Winword has caused an error in WINWORD.EXE
Winword will now close.

If you continue to experience problems
try retarting your computer.

i'm running Microsoft Office 2000 as an add-in. what came w/the PC is Microsoft Works Suite (i think 2001 - not sure, as the PC isn't available to me right now to look). Office worked just fine up until i started having probs with Norton -- or so it seemed that's when the probs running Word started.

i've uninstalled the Office software and tried re-installing it 3 times now, but still Word won't work properly.

emmkay2

emmkay2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
a bit more info: i'm not running WinFax Pro (at least, not that i know of/can find), nor could i find normal.dot file as suggested in another thread elsewhere for a winword.exe fix.

Edited by emmkay2, 10 November 2007 - 05:44 PM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Prefetch is clickable for more information

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Reboot

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run defragmenter

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Disable the anti virus programme then click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Check the anti virus programme is running

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

Click optimize and improve then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor