Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unknown computer connecting to wireless network

• Please log in to reply

Bloodnut

Bloodnut

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My internet security program periodically sends a warning screen up stating that "unknown computers are attempting to connect to the wireless connection". The problem is that I do not have a wireless connection. I select do "not trust" and adjust the properties to block the computer, but it keeps happening with the same computer attempting to connect to the wireless connection.

Should I disable the wireless protection capabilitities in the PC-cillin Internet Security application?

Is there anything else I should do?

Cheers for the help!

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Bloodnut
Welcome to G2G
Step 1) Get rid of PC - Cillin
Step 2) Download Avast and install (there is a link in my signature) It is FREE
Do not run both together
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 06 November 2007 - 02:35 AM.

Bloodnut

Bloodnut

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the reply PeterM.

I will consider taking your advice (reluctantly as I have renewed the subscription with Microtrend in July - ouch to the hip pocket).

However, is there more information as to why this problem is occuring. This will help in the decision to swap over to Avast. Also it will broaden my limited knowledge of computers.

Cheers again.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Bloodnut
Are you using a laptop by chance ? If you are then there is every chance you have a wireless card inbuilt that is switched on and is searching for a network.
Cheers
peterm

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Please tell us a little more about your Network.
Modem?
Router?
Number of machines?
Printer mapped to Network?

If you occasionally add a new computer to your network, and that machine has file and print sharing enabled, it may attempt to connect via NetBios.

The offending machine may be one that is already part of your Network (and it has file and print sharing enabled). In such a case, every time you turn that machine on, it will attempt to connect via NetBios to allow for file sharing.

You can disable file and printer sharing on all of your machines if you don't use that feature.

Please tell us more about your PC-cillin utility.
Is it antivirus only?
Is it the full security suite?
Does it include a software firewall?

Once you provide more information about your Network and Security Programs we might be able to give more specific recommendations.

There is no need to Uninstall your current PC-cillin utility.
TrendMircro has been making top rated products for many years, and their online Housecall scan if frequently recommended, even by the experts in Malware Removal Forums.
It is "detecting something", you're just not sure what is being detected.
No sense in throwing out the guard at the door, just because he's doing his job.
Let's spend a little time identifying what is being detected.
You can always decide to install a new security utility for ease of use, excellence of performance, or good compatibility with your machine.
But don't throw out what you have paid for, just because it is doing its job.

Best Regards

Bloodnut

Bloodnut

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I am using a SpeedStream ADSL Modem but the computer also has an inbuilt Modem which came when purchased/leased.

The computer (not a laptop) is not linked in a network of computers, it stands alone. Would connecting to the internet count as linking the computer to a network?

I am using PC cillin Internet Security 2007 and I think it has the full suite with software firewall.

I have looked at the computer specs and there does not appear to be an wireless card or the like (that is why I am so confused). I would be tempted to turn off the Wireless Security if I knew that it was OK to do so.

This is my first personal computer so it has been a steep learning curve. At 34 years, your never to old to learn I guess.

Many thanks guys.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Hello again Bloodnut,

Which SpeedStream ADSL modem do you have? (Specific Model Number please)

Sounds like you have one that offers both wired (ethernet CAT5 or CAT6) connection and Wireles b or g connectivity.
Your modem may, itself, be broadcasting wireless connectivity availability, even though the computer you presently use apparently does not have the capability to receive wirelessly.
But we'll have to await your specific answer to the Model Number questions to clarify that.

Once we know what features your ADSL Modem has, we will be better able to recommend how to:
-- disable wireless broadcasting
-- encryption protect your wireless connectivity

Having wireless connectivity available is not a bad thing, but you will want to learn how to control it through either temporarily disabling it, or encrypting it so that neighbors and strangers don't accidentally or deliberately log on to your ISP service to use for their own internet purposes.

Best Regards

Bloodnut

Bloodnut

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
This is really helping, so thanks Doug.

I have Siemens SpeedStream 4200 Ethernet/USB ADSL modem.

Cheers.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
OK Bloodnut,

Your Siemens SpeedStream 4200 Ethernet/USB ADSL modem does not include a router or any means to broadcast wirelessly. It connects only by Ethernet cable or USB cable.

Unless you connect the SpeedStream to a Wireless capable Router before it connects to your computer, you are not Broadcasting and nobody can try to connect to your DSL service.

So now we have to shift our attention to what other features your Computer may have.
It could be that what you are referring to as "a modem built into your computer" (unlikely except possibly a common dial-up connection modem), is actually a Network Interface PCI Card (NIC) with wireless capability. Your machine would then have the ability to sense and attempt to connect to other people's wireless DSL service (not a good thing)

Please download and run Everest 2.20 (free), Download here

Double- click on C:\program files\lavalys\Everest.exe <-- to open Everest
or Click on the Everest Desktop Icon if you allowed that option
In the Left-hand Column - Click on - Devices - then click on the (+) in front of Devices to Expand the list.
Select - PCI Devices
Next:
Click on Report in the command line at the top of Everest Panel
the pull down menu will offer:
--Report Wizard
--Quick Report - PCI Devices <-- click on this item
Another pull down menu will offer
----plain text
----HTML <--- Select this item
----MHTML
Next:
At the top of the Panel
Select - Save to File

Everest will name the file: Report.html and save the Report at:
C:\Program Files\Lavalys\Everest Home Edition\Reports\Report.html

Please upload Report.html as an "attached file" to your next reply in this thread

While we're at it, let's get a good overview of your machine's current configuration and performance:

Please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here:
http://www.pcpitstop.com
Register and create a password
Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.
Full Tests is the first item in the left hand column of that page.

The Full Tests take less than 5 minutes for most machines.
Once you have your Results, please post the TechExpress Link back here into this thread for review.
TechExpress is the last item on the list in the yellow box in upper right area of any Results page.
Post the entire URL link information back here into this Forum thread.

Caution: During the testing of Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are “flashed” onto the users monitor screen. In the many thousands of daily uses of the PCPitstop Full Tests over several years, two individuals who suffer epilepsy experienced discomfort and temporary dizziness when viewing the flashing patterns.
If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence.

The Everest Report.html will tell us what devices are installed in your Computer.
We will be able to see the listing and determine if you have a "wireless device".
Then we'll be better able to decide what to recommend.

The PCPitstop Full Tests, will give a full overview of your machine's configuration, installed components, and present functioning. No personally identifying or file information is shared in the PCPitstop Full Tests TechExpress. So it is safe and will give us a good basis to work from.

Include in your next reply:
Reports.html
TechExpres Link

Best Regards

Edited by Doug, 08 November 2007 - 10:21 PM.

Bloodnut

Bloodnut

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok Doug,

here you go Attached File  Report.htm   47.27KB   40 downloads and http://www.pcpitstop...6CTSW0K7RVS1YAV.

The PC Pitstop gave me some good advice which I will follow up, particulalry the D Drive being 5% from full.

Cheers.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Hi Bloodnut,

Yes, the PCPitstop Full Tests Result demonstrate a number of procedures you can perform to improve the functioning of this machine. You should complete each of the recommendations carefully following the linked instructions and ask any specific questions as they come up.

You have a number of "game applications" installed that may have come bundled with ad-ware/spyware.
While many of the games can be highly entertaining, they can also pose a significant risk to your computer's privacy and security.

At this point, we need to correct or rule out influence from ad-ware/spyware, before moving on to optimize other System Related issues, such as the ones indicated in your Pit Test Results.

Please Read and Follow the instructions, here

After completing those steps, your machine may be clean of malware, or possibly not.
Reboot your machine and use it in the typical way that you ordinarily do.
If you receive any of the problem alerts or experience any symptoms related to malware infection, then please Run HJT and Post your HJT Log in a New Topic, here:

Please post back here with a link to your New Topic in Malware Removal so we can follow along with your progress.
But DO NOT POST YOUR HJT LOG here into this Hardware - Networking Forum.
Only Post HJT Log into the Malware Removal Forum for assistance from qualified Malware Removal Staff.

Feel free to post back into this same thread if you continue to experience difficulties, after you have completed your Malware Removal work.