Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ping Spikes

• Please log in to reply

CBMilewski

CBMilewski

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I have 2 computers using wired connections to a Linksys cable gateway (modem and router in one). When we try to play Quake 3 or Quake 4 on them we get horrible spikes in our ping every few seconds which will cause it to range from 50 or so to up around 500. On most games this is ok but when it comes to games like Quake it makes them unplayable. Both computers have high-end hardware and one is using XP and the other Vista. I've had this cable gateway for 2 years and this has only started happening in the past few months. I've lived in this apartment for about a year with Comcast as my ISP. When i ran internet speed tests before the problem i used to get a download rate of around 3-4 Mbs. Now when i test it its more like 300-400 kbs. I've tried disabling the wireless portion of my router all together and ensuring that nothing was running in the background but i haven't been able to improve the situation. Any follow-up questions or help on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

- Chris

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
This is something you may want to contact your ISP about. My internet was nearly not functional for a month one time because the cable company had shut off one of our boxes and in doing so didn't change settings needed for our internet.

Check with your ISP, the problem could be on their end.