Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Legal Issues?

• Please log in to reply

Joeturf

Joeturf

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Hi G2G. I'm the webmaster for my school's orchestra and I was wondering if there was any way to legally stream professional recordings of the pieces we are currently playing off the website.

For example, I have a recording of the London Philharmonic Orchestra performing one of the pieces our orchestra is currently working on and I'd like to let people be able to listen to this recording off of the website. Is there any way I can do this legally?

Thanks for any help!

Advertisements

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Joeturf,

I presume you are referring to streaming 'off the website' as the London Philharmonic Orchestra's website.If this is the case, then the answer is most probably no - unless, of course, they do allow you to specifically download it from their official site for free. Even then it is doubtful if you can still redistribute the download, or even copy it to any form of digital matter - mp3 player, cd, memory stick etc. Then there'll be legal implications for 'public performance' - which, in this case, would probably be breaking the law in terms of copyright infringement if you were to re-enact the piece or for distributing the piece publicly. Even burning the musical piece to a cd to play in a concert practise room would still be classed as copyright infringement as you would be creating a public performance. So, to cut a long story short - I highly doubt this would be legal, nor would I advise you to use the LPO's music publicly, not at least without prior written consent.

[Spidey]

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
AFAIK, you're allowed a 30 second clip of any song over 3 minutes on your website, and if the song is shorter than 3 minutes, then you're allowed 10% of the length.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Rebroadcasting or streaming of ANY copy-written material without consent of the artist is illegal. The only material that can be rebroadcast is GPL or public domain audio or copy-written audio that has been granted permission by the artist and/or the copyright holder and/or it's management company.