Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with runing VNC

• Please log in to reply

demirkol

demirkol

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I downloaded VNC recently and even though I read the documentation that came with the program i still couldnt get it up and running. What I want to do is control the computer in the study room from the computer in my room. Both computers are on XP.

thanks in advance

Advertisements

jaimejd007

jaimejd007

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Before we go any further: Which VNC client did you download?

You need to download to different components of VNC. You need a server VNC (for the computer you want to control) and a client VNC (which is for the computer you are using to control the other one).

After that all you need to do is make sure the server is running on the computer you want to control and then open up the client/viewer on your computer and enter the server computer's IP address.

-jaimejd007/Karasuhebi

demirkol

demirkol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I've got the VNC server 4 and VNC viewer. what do I need now and how do I get the computers IP address?

jaimejd007

jaimejd007

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Install and run the VNC server on the computer you want to control, get the IP address for that computer (you do this by opening up your command prompt and typing in ipconfig) and then once you have that IP address, go back to the computer that has the viewer. Enter the server computer's IP address in the viewer and off you go.

Question: are both computers running off the same internet connection?

-jaimejd007/Karasuhebi

demirkol

demirkol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Yes they are running off the same internet connection. I use a Asus wl 600g router.

jaimejd007

jaimejd007

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Alright, I was just wondering because if the computers were running on separate connections, you would of probably had to find the IP address using another method. Also, you would of maybe had to open up ports in the server computer's router to let the viewing computer in. But since both computers are connected to the same router, you shouldn't have much trouble. Anyways, let me know how that goes.

-jaimejd007/Karasuhebi

demirkol

demirkol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
In vnc viewer I typed in the IP address in a box called server when I clicked on ok i got a error message saying failed to connect: connection refused (10061). Is it possible that my anti virus program is blocking me? I use Symantic Anti Virus

jaimejd007

jaimejd007

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
An anti-virus wouldn't block incoming internet requests. It could be your router, but I don't think so. Anti-viruses just block viruses, trojans and the like. Mind giving me a link to where you got these VNC files? The VNC client I use is TightVNC, so maybe the one you are using works a little bit differently than yours does.

-jaimejd007/Karasuhebi

demirkol

demirkol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Can I get a link to your VNC since you know how to use your one.

jaimejd007

jaimejd007

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
http://tightvnc.com

-jaimejd007/Karasuhebi

Advertisements

demirkol

demirkol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
It goes failed to connect to server. Am I doing this right I want to control the PC in the study so i put the server on that and I put the viewer on my PC?

jaimejd007

jaimejd007

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Yes you are doing it right. Now tell me, what are you inputting into the viewer when you open it?

-jaimejd007/Karasuhebi

demirkol

demirkol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Theres a box called VNC server and i put in the IP address which is 192.168.1.3. Then I click on connect

jaimejd007

jaimejd007

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Make sure that your server computer's IP is really 192.168.1.3 and then go into your router's control panel and open up the default TightVNC port (which is port # 5900) for TCP connections and make the port forward to the server computer's IP address (192.168.1.3).

After that, you should be good to go.

-jaimejd007/Karasuhebi

Edited by jaimejd007, 05 November 2007 - 11:35 PM.

demirkol

demirkol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
How do I do that? once I went into the router control panel I got lost.