Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Startup and slow problem

• Please log in to reply

RickMath

RickMath

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
I am not sure if this is the right place to post this.

I am getting many messages that applications need to close. I have disabled the send to Microsoft option. Tonight my system took ten minutes to reboot. The hard drive continues to click constantly for 15 minutes after everythign finally loads. I have a doctored by HP/Compaq version fo XP what has caused problems from the start.

Lately I have been running cleanup.exe and it seems to help some. I am also running Adware 2007 and Adwatch 2007. Windows defender has disappeared.

Not sure if I have been invaded or it's just the bad version of XP that HP/Compaq sold me.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Rick

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please do the following: (For downloads use links in my signature).

1: Click Start > run. Type msconfig. Choose selective startup. Go to the "startup" tab and uncheck everything which is not essential to run in the background. Leave only antimalware programs running. (if you change your mind latter you can reactivate those programs). Confirm and reboot. Upon rebooting you will see a message that should be checked.

2: Download and run ccleaner. Run the "cleaner" and "issues" options a number of times until nothing is left to be cleaned. Use the backup option (in "issues") when prompted to do so. Use the program as downloaded. Add to the checked up items only "old prefetch data".

3: Run a thorough scan with updated antimalware programs. Use Spybot Search and Destroy, AVG Anti-Spyware and Adaware SE. Run your Antivirus. Run full system scans (all files), in safe mode. Run the programs one at a time. Before you run the scans delete all old restore points by going to Control Panel > system > system restore > turn off system restore on all drive.

4: Run disk defragmantation. Click start > all programs > accessories > system tools > disk defragmenter.

5: Download and run PageDefrag. This program defrags system and page files which are not defragged by other means. Set it to work upon next boot and reboot.

7: Create a new restore point.

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Hi RickMath,

If you are concerned about Malware Infection, please Post a HJT Log into the Malware Removal Forum
Please notice that much of the advice that you have received is provided in a similar format by qualified Malware Experts, here:
http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

Please read and follow those instructions.

Then Post your HJT Log for analysis by a qualified Malware Removal Tech in the Malware Removal Forum, here:
http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

***Caution*** Do not delete your Restore Points at this time!
Restore Points are there for a purpose. In the event that a portion of a planned "fix" fails, your best and sometimes only recourse may be to use a Restore Point .... even if it contains a malware infection. Without Restore Points, you risk encountering a situation in which your only recourse may be to Reinstall Windows Operating System and risk lossing valuable data, media, files, and documents.

In the meantime, data, configurations, applicaitons and even malaware infection, that is locked in a Restore Point is generally walled off from your active Operating System and can be safely left in place until your machine is running completely free of Malware and correctly configured according to your preferences.

G2G Forum Policy states that only a qualified Malware Removal Tech can make the definitive determination that it is now safe to remove your Restore Points.

If you have any disagreement with my posted instructions here, please consult an Administrator or a qualified Malware Removal Tech member.

Best Regards,
Doug

RickMath

RickMath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
:) Thanks Doug

I posted the HJT log in the malware forum. I am a bit confused with which one of the suggestions to pursue. As the first one asked me to make some changes. Just let me know how to proceed.

As always, you al provide great help to those of us that run into these problems.

R :)

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Hi RickMath,

You're doing just fine.
You would be OK to follow the instructions in:
http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html
But since you have already posted your HJT Log, please just wait until you receive a reply from Malware Tech staff.

We will also remain patient here in this Forum Thread, so that we do not initiate recommendations that might interfere with the work you will be doing in the Malware Removal Forum.

If you continue to have questions or issues to resolve after completing your work in Malware Removal, you are welcome to post back here at that time.

Hopefully one of our fine Tech folks like The Skeptic will be available to respond to your needs.

Best Regards,
Doug

RickMath

RickMath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
:)

I have not received a reply from the Malware staff. Do I need to post a HJT log again?

You guys (a generic term) are great in helping us.

Thanks.

Rick

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Hello again, RickMath,

Now that _Rip Chain_ has kindly reviewed and attended to your HJT Log, we will be able to continue with your work here in the Tech Forum Windows XP, 2000, 2003, NT.

With this posting,The Skeptic will probably have received automated notice of your completion in Malware Removal and may be available to continue the excellent Tech-side investigation and recommendations that he began before being interrupted.

Welcome back.

Doug

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Going back to your first post: two questions:

1: Quote: "I have a doctored by HP/Compaq version fo XP what has caused problems from the start." Please explain this. Could you also tell us the make and model of your computer.

2: Quote: "The hard drive continues to click constantly for 15 minutes after everythign finally loads". Please explain this. Do you actually hear a clicking noise from the HD or is the HD led that you see blinking.

RickMath

RickMath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Thanks.

First by doctored version I mean that HP/Compaq mess with windows and add lot's of programs and settings. I had to either disable or remove some of these to get some applications running. The messenger service was all screwed up from the start and after correcting the settings. I finally resolved soem problems with my main email client which is groupwise. Also HP has cleverly loaded their own website for the windows help facility. I canot even get to the microsoft windows help. They also wanted me to link to their site rather than microsoft for system updates. I can't even seem set the system to automatic updates from microsoft.

Second the computer is a Compaq Presario.

Third the hard drive just clicked and clicked and the hard drive indicator light blinked.

I keep the drive cleaned using cleanup.exe and defrrag regularly.

Hope this answers your questions let me know what else you need.

I use IE for sites that I go to and trust and Firefox for others.

Thanks for your help. I have completed all but one of the instructions in the malware forum. Just one i cound not figure out was IE/Spyad.

The only other item is that i cannot figure out which startup appications to delete in msconfig. Is there a way to make sure that is do not diable something critical. I know I can stop my groupwise notification, my adwatch, Norton antivirus and my APC UPS status. Others include some HP/Compaq things that I am not sure of.

I sincerely appreciate your assiatance.

Rick

I will wait to hear from you.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Let's start from the end.

If you are not sure what to uncheck in Startup menu just leave things as they are. As I read through the thread I find that Startup is of minor importance compared to other problems.

There is the problem with the clicking disk which I am not sure about. Disks should not create audible "clicks". If they do then something is not good with electromechanic components. If you know the make and model of the disk you can download a diagnostic program from the manufacturer's internet site and run a thorough test of the disk.

My impression, however, is that your pc problems are the result of too much tweaking of xp. There are things that you can remove from any XP, including XP OEM which is a xp version modified by the computer manufacturer to suit his specific machines, but you must know exactly what you are doing. My opinion is that at the present state of afairs your best option would be to backup your data and clean install xp and the rest of your applications. If you have a repair option you can try it before you format but to say the truth I am a small believer in xp repair.

Edited by The Skeptic, 13 November 2007 - 05:31 AM.

Ryokotsei

Ryokotsei

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hey,
did you ever try running a memory test? maybe that helps. if you go to http://hcidesign.com...t/download.html you can find a program to test your RAM.
hope this is helpful

RickMath

RickMath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
:)

Well I tried memtest. Figured it would hurt anything. One good and one bad memory module. Kingston is replacing the bad one. It should be here Thursday. I will post the results. Even with 1GB instead of 2GB, the system seems to be running a bit better. Maybe I'm a few steps toward getting out of the woods.

Thanks to all of you for following up on this. I will be back with hopefully good news.

Rick

RickMath

RickMath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
:) :) One more thing.

How come the kiwis always come through. I love NZ. We will win the cup back in 2009.

Perhaps the hard disk hits were coming from the failure of the memory and having to hit the pagefile too much. Anyway we will see.

Thanks

Rick

Ryokotsei

Ryokotsei

• Pip
  • 4 posts

:) :) One more thing.

How come the kiwis always come through. I love NZ. We will win the cup back in 2009.

Perhaps the hard disk hits were coming from the failure of the memory and having to hit the pagefile too much. Anyway we will see.

Thanks

Rick

actually im not originally from nz, im originally from germany xD

RickMath

RickMath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
:) :) :) :)

Well the memory has been replaced and all seems OK for now. Maybe that was why some applications kept crashing too. Startup is still a bit slow, but lots of things load on startup. Have not had any more microsoft error reports either.

I installed ccleaner, spyware blaster and winpatrol. Run them all frequently as well as cleanup.exe.

Thanks, I'll be back in touch if I run into another problem.

Rick