Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Card Problem

• Please log in to reply

Ketev Meriri

Ketev Meriri

• Pip
  • 4 posts
System Specifications:
-------------------------------------------------
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
MB: Asus K8N (Nvidia NForce 3)
VPU: Asus ATI Radeon A9250 (128 MB)

When I bought this system, everything was working fine (The guys at the shop installed everything for me). Then I had to format and install the OS (Windows XP 32-bit Pro) due to viruses corrupting me system files. From then on I'm having problem installing the graphics card drivers.

The drivers require Windows XP SP-2 but once I install that, Windows identifies this as ATI Radeon 9200 Pro series (i.e. installs that driver) and Windows freezes with a dark screen. I restarted in Safe Mode and uninstalled and updated the driver manually from the VGA driver installation disk (search for inf automatically and stuff ... ) cuz the driver setup won't start in safe mode (requires .NET runtime to be installed which cannot be done in Safe Mode I guess). This time windows starts but after I install the drivers from the installation CD again (along with ATI Catalyst Control Centre and NVidia NForce GART) and restart Windows again freezes during startup with a blank screen (this time with 1 or 2 yellow/brown dots). From the Device Manager two display controllers are shown: A9250 and A9250 Secondary. I disabled the primary one and Windows works again this time, but the graphics processing is really slow.

I also tried installing Windows XP Pro from other CDs and Windows XP x64 but the installation freeezes when it comes to installing plug and play hardware drivers.

I tried with the latest drivers but still couldn't make it work.

I have a spare Nvidia Riva TNT2 (32 MB) card previously. I popped it in removing the ATI card and tried installing Windows XP x64 with this. But the installation freezes right after it starts up.

I thought I probably messed up with the BIOS settings so I set it to Defaults and tried tweaking it in various ways ... but to no avail.

Please help me out ...

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Ketev Meriri, 06 November 2007 - 02:50 AM.

Advertisements