Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hiding icons on the bottom right corner?

• Please log in to reply

demirkol

demirkol

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I am using windows XP and I theres a couple of icons i want to make invisible. Is this possible at all?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Right-Click the clock/icons area -> Customise Notifications.

demirkol

demirkol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I know how to do that but i was wondering how to get rid of it altogether without uninstalling the program

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Check through the program's Options/Preferences and see if there is a box to check/uncheck that hides the icon for that program. The icon may be in the systray because it is listed in the Startup Menu to run at boot up. Go to Start, then click Run and type in msconfig and click OK. On Configuration window, go to Startup tab and see if you can locate any program that is set to start that corresponds to the icon. Uncheck box. Reboot. Window that pops up on re-boot, just check box in lower-left corner to not show again. Hope this works for you.

Ron

demirkol

demirkol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
When I do what you say would the program still be running in the background?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
If you unchecked the box for the program under the Configuration's Startup tab and rebooted, no the program should not be running. If you found and unchecked the box related to removing the icon from the systray, then the program is more then likely still running. You can verify this either way using the Task manager under the Processes tab.

Ron

demirkol

demirkol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
With your way can the program not appear on the system tray but also work in the background?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi demirkol...

To have the application running and not displaying the icon in the notification area, all you need to do is hide the icons. Right click on the Task Bar and choose "Properties". In the Properties window, under the "Taskbar" tab, click on the "Customize" button in the Notification Area section. Find the application you want to remove from the system tray and click on it...from the drop-down menu that appears, select "Always Hide" and Apply the changes.

This will allow the program to run in the background, but the icon will not display in the notification area.

wannabe1

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Hi demirkol...
This will allow the program to run in the background, but the icon will not display in the notification area.

wannabe1

Neil suggested this already, but this is not what OP wants from his reply. :) I'm not clear as to whether OP wants program running or not so gave several ways depending on his choice.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 07 November 2007 - 01:55 PM.