Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dmoz versus Yahoo - Directories

• Please log in to reply

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Ok, I've slowly and steadily built up some good backlinks to my site - Yahoo now reports around 800 backlinks. I've somehow been lucky enough to get two of my sites listed in the Dmoz directory. One of these sites has no other link to it other than the Dmoz link - which subsequently gained it a PageRank 1 - for one single backlink from the Dmoz.

So, I'm now wondering about paying the £300 to get into the Yahoo directory, but would like a little advice from those who may know more about the yahoo directory submission process and the benefits of it.

I know the Dmoz directory databases are exported to Google Directory, Alta Vista, Aol and the like - but do I get the same benefit from getting into the Yahoo directory - ie. do I just get one link from yahoo, or do they export their data to other partners, if so, whom?

Secondly, you pay £300/$300 (why do we get ripped off for having a UK-based company!) for a 'non-guaranteed' inclusion. What is the likelyhood of our site getting into it - are pretty much all sites which pay get into it, or do alot of sites get knocked back? What can I do to increase the likelyhood of being accepted?

Finally, thanks for your help & have a good day!

PS. If you think there are any other 'must' directories, please tell!

Edited by ScHwErV, 06 November 2007 - 08:06 AM.

Advertisements