Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Removable Hard-Drive Problems

• Please log in to reply

mason954

mason954

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hello,

I have been a member on here for quite a long time now and i have recently been stumped with what to do next with my remobable hard drive as i have tried so many things and i thought id ask the experts!

basically i have a freecom " classic Mobile HD 2.5" 40GB hardrive and a while ago it started freezing up my computer when i plugged it in (even if i tried different desktop computers, laptops etc), the next stage in it annoying me was when it stopped showing up in my computer or anywhere else (including Computer Management>System Tools>Device Manager) i have tried so so many different things to get this to work but have come to no luck!
I dont really care if the hardrive never works again, if i have to take it apart or anything like that as long as i can get the data of it as i have some important work on there!
I tried downloading certain programs that extract the data, they worked and extraceted alot of the drive but it didnt seem to extract the .doc files or any pictures or things like that which are what i need. (all it extracted were random files which i believe to be some kinds of system files *not too sure though but they were unreadble files*).
I am currently studying Computing and Advanced Computing at A level along with many other computer based courses and i got high grades in my GCSE's (im not sure if you have GCSE's or A levels in america so sorry if im talking rubbish) so i know what i am doing on a computer!

PLEASE try and help me, even any suggestions will be of great importance to me because i really need this work!

Thanks in advance for your time and i am sure you'll do your best to help me out!

Kind Regards to the G2G team,

Chris Mason

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
GCSE's and A-Levels are UK specific qualifications. Not that it makes any difference to your question :)

Sounds like your external drive is dying. Even file recovery programs do not guarantee that they can get data back. If you've thrown it all the programs under the sun and none of them can get the data you want back, you must consider the likelihood that it's gone forever. Professional file-recovery is available but it involves sending it away for months on end, paying an arm and a leg for it and having no guarantees at the end of it.

The signs of it freezing up every computer you plugged it into should have been ringing alarm bells. Are you seriously suggesting this was the only source of your work and you have no copies on the main hard drive of your computer? A caddy that carries a drive that is fragile by its design is never going to be that reliable, it would be more secure inside the laptop. A flash drive can take a lot more abuse and while they're not perfect either, they're generally more reliable.

I find it ironic that somebody who is doing A-Level Computing and other computer-related courses should know better than to keep only one copy of important work, bearing in mind file backup and corruption is part of the A-Level syllabus for this course.

mason954

mason954

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I had two more backups besides the external hard drive, one on my laptop and one on my desktop computer, unfortunately the desktop computer got so over-ridden with virus and other malware due to my younger brother using it that I had to wipe the whole computer clean as it wasn’t responding and i didn't have the time to remove them all and sort it out (I thought I’d be safe due to having two more copies), then unfortunately my laptop got stolen in a break-in at my home recently after so I lost ALL my work off there!
Never fear I thought to myself, I have another copy, Lo and behold the removable hard-drive died!
The freezing of my computer when plugged in did ring alarm bells to me that is why I got straight onto trying to fix it.
With all due respect, please do not insult my intelligence with computing, I did everything I could to back-up my work, i am an A grade student at GCSE level and it was due to unforeseen circumstances that it was lost!
Thanks for your help, although I didn’t really appreciate the sarcasm I am still thankful for you taking your time to reply to my post.

Thanks for your help anyway!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Yeah well sorry about that, think you caught me on a bad day.

What programs have you thrown at the damaged drive so far to try and recover data?