Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to mix wirless and LAN?

• Please log in to reply

grumpe

grumpe

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
OK folks,

We just moved to temp housing until a new house is done. I have installed my linksys wireless router after my inlaws cable modem. We are living in there finished basement and all is well with my wife's laptop and one of our PCs. My work laptop can not access the wifi and our other PC does not have a wireless adapter.

Is there a quick and easy way to set up a remote hub of sorts that I can hard cable my two PCs and work laptop to and get access to the wireless signal. I want to be as minimally intrusive to the inlaws as possible. They are letting us stay in their basement after all.

The easiest thing would be to get another wireless adapter for our second PC and punt the idea of my work laptop (can not add a card etc).

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Eric

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Wireless LAN Access Point might be an idea for a temporary basis.

Run a cable from the router along the edge of a room or wherever to a point near to the basement with an electrical socket. Plug your network cable in and plug the access point into the wall. Then when you connect to the new network that appears after the access point is powered up, it goes down that cable back to the router and onto the internet. Then all you do is add a wireless adaptor to the PC and use the wireless built into the laptop to connect to the network provided by the access point.

The beauty of these access points is that you can add more of them as you need to (say in your new house when its finished) and they come together to build one big network, soon as you move out of the range of one of the points the laptop/PC joins to another one seamlessly. Like when you're in a car on a mobile phone, your phone jumps from mast to mast as you go.