Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Real Time-What is it.

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
Seems that after 7 years of playing with computers, that I should be versed in this subject, but I've never really invesitigated it so could someone give me a definition of the term"Real Time"?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Wikipedia List of Definitions
What is Real Time?

Ron

jaimejd007

jaimejd007

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Depends on where you saw the term. If you are talking about processes and their priorities, "real time" is the highest priority a process can have.

-jaimejd007/Karasuhebi

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
With reference to a 'Real Time' priority for processes, this will cause the process to completely superceed all other processes on the machine, including those of the system itself. This usually results in a total freeze of the system, including loss of mouse and keyboard control. And may even reselt in a crash.

Setting processes to "Real Time" is not recommended.