Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Graphics Card - not functioning

• Please log in to reply

godlesswonder

godlesswonder

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm running XP Pro with 2.4 Ghz P4, 1.5 gigs DDR on an ASUS P4S8X mobo (need any more specs, just yell) *edit* 450w ps

I just installed a new Radeon HD 2600 XT (512 MB) video card. Everything is incredibly slow (example, the blue welcome screen at start up 'scrolls' down the field to fill the screen, followed by a good 30 seconds to draw my desktop icons).
I got it in part to play games, and edit video in Premiere Elements. The game (oblivion for one) is completely distorted, blocky. You can't even make some things out to exit.

'SmartGart' insists that the AGP speed is 'OFF'. I adjust it to the 'on' position, it requires a reboot - and it's back off again when it reboots. Checked my BIOS settings, which tell me AGP is on at 8x.

I downloaded the latest drivers for my card "3" times (assuming I'd made an error the first time at least). Upon installation it stops, and tells me no such hardware is on my machine. This is where I began pulling out my hair. So far, I've only been able to use the drivers that came on the disc.

Any information would be wonderful! Don't hesitate to ask for more info. Thanks a bunch,

godless

Edited by godlesswonder, 06 November 2007 - 06:54 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi, welcome to Geeks to Go!

I'm tempted to say your graphics card is faulty... What card were you running previously?

Does the problem still occur if you boot to a linux live CD?

Are you able to test the card in another computer? (Friends, work etc...)

Specifically, what PSU do you have? 450W should be fine to power the card, but if it's old/generic/faulty, it could be contributing to the problem.

godlesswonder

godlesswonder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I ran a Radeon All-In-Wonder 7500 previously. The heavy editing and new interest in gaming prompted me to upgrade. I tried a nvidia first (Ive already forgotten which, sorry) - it had very similar problems, but ended up crashing randomly as well. I returned it and got this (I thought I hadn't upgraded enough!).

"if you boot to a linux live CD"
I'm afraid that's new to me - I could look into it?

I don't have another system to test this card in unfortuneately.

This actually is a refurb power supply - no great name or anything. That's an option if it looks like a real possibilty, but it would be a jump from 40 to about 100$. I kinda' need to feel like that's the problem before I do that. Maybe if I can eliminate other things? We'll see I guess. I'm just leary, because I doubled my spending on the video card thinking that would do it - to no avail.

I've actually stumbled onto a few forums where people had similar issues with ATI cards - specifically, the Catalyst update not recognizing their new card. Seems as though there's some common thread here, but it's beyond me.

I got the SIS drivers per someone's recommendation (agp), this installation allowed me to actually get the AGP settings in the ATI software to stay at 4x, but no improvement. Truly annoying.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Well I would look at the power supply. The Nvidia card does not use the Catalyst drivers, so if it had similar issues I wouldn't be looking at drivers and Catalyst problems.

The fact that it's a refurbished generic would make me point to it immediately. Something like an Antec True Power Trio 550W should be much nicer for you.

It's possible that there is something else that's causing the problem, so don't take this as gospel. But truly, that power supply does need upgrading anyhow.

:)

godlesswonder

godlesswonder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ah [bleep], I suppose there's no sense in stopping now! I'll pick something better up - hopefully after work tomorrow and see what gives. It certainly can't hurt...

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Make sure it's a quality brand name with high efficiency, and plenty of amps on the +12V rail. You should be looking around the $100 mark, some may be cheaper on special.