Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer Screen Closes; Error Oxc00000094

• Please log in to reply

scottportraits

scottportraits

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Tuesday Nov 6, 2007

Hi,

Maybe it's memory overload, but the Windows Explorer filing system keeps shutting down when I try to launch open a file to view the thumbnails.

Wonder if anyone knows an easy way to fix this problem: I have many large digital photo files inside files inside files inside folders, etc etc...... (It is a labyrinth in some places).

Often, a photo-editing app can't 'open' one of my pictures because the file name train is so long....it must be too hard to make a direct contact, or something.

Anyway, the MS error code is Oxc0000094....and I have already been thru google, which tries to sell registry cleaning products as the remedy (yuck!).

Help ! I want to look at my files....

- scottportraits

Advertisements

Dave Kruger

Dave Kruger

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Just out of curiousity, does it still occur in when you browse to the folder with thumbnail viewing turned off? If it doesn't...you might try turning off thumbnail caching to see if that helps. To do so, open a folder, and go to folder options on the tools menu. Click the view tab and check the box do not cache thumbnails.

The thumbnail caching instructions are to turn it off in XP...if you have a different OS that this is occuring on let me know, I will need to do some searching for the same option in Vista.

scottportraits

scottportraits

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Nov 9 '07

Yes, the problem still persisted when I de-activated the thumbnail cache......so I went thru the amazingly good but tedious "Malware Removal" steps you publish at GeeksToGo. I finally ironed out the problem. Here's how I did it:

First, downloaded and updated the apps for malware scanning listed on your 'to do' list of malware removal steps.

Ran the ATF Cleaner tool. Made new System Restore Point, and flushed all the old previous ones away. Did full system scans in safe-mode with each app in this order: AVG Anti-Spyware, SUPERAntiSpyware Free edition, and Spybot Search and Destroy. There were some suspicious log files in .txt format that Spybot finally got out......

.....nothing other than that was found. Finally, I ran the ComboFix repair tool (which I found by some link in here, but can't find now - altho I have a copy of the .exe file saved and ready for use in the future).

I think the ComboFix tool solved the problem, after Spybot wiped out the .txt log files that got in, probably from downloading movies.

Thanks for all the info at this site. You have a lot of resources and good links to tools you publish yourselves.

Many thanks,

scottportraits