Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

logon message

• Please log in to reply

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
This is the message I get when I logon to one computer

The system cannot log you on now because the domain ( computer name ) is not available

I get the same message in safe mode, cant get passed the logon screen, itís the same with the Admin account. Only happening to one computer

All 12 computers are in the same workgroup, there is no server, all have XP pro.

All cabled to a 20 port hub,

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 667 posts
I think something is corrupted in the OS... Have you done a repair recently? That's a possible cause...

I tried doing a repair with the original XP disk and was not able to repair it. I even tried using a 3rd party password recovery tool (which I have success with in recovering lost passwords for people) but still was not able to repair the system with this error.

I ended up reformatting the the system and counted my losses...

Someone else may have a solution... I couldn't find one...

peter99

peter99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
I can change passwords or remove them without a problem, so I know thatís ok.

I always create a second partition and change the default location of my documents to the D partition in the event I have to format the C partition and all the students work will still be available.

I did google the problem and slaved the drive in another computer and replaced some files in the system32\config folder from the repair folder, but still had the same problem.

Looks like a repair might even do a format and try

DIY Service Pack - Installing Windows updates without an internet connection

http://www.heise-sec.../articles/80682

Tried this
Error Message: System Cannot Log You on Because Domain <Computername> Is Not Available

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244671

peter99

peter99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Just an update

Did a reinstall to have a look at a few setting and event logs, found out somebody changed the computer name, hence it could not log anybody on.

Decided to reformat the C partition and do a fresh install, system restore did not cure the problem.

Will have to remove/hide some networking tabs in the future