Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Win XP Pro logon screen

• Please log in to reply

Angelo Sartore

Angelo Sartore

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello all,
My PC has been performing quite well for the past few weeks. Our PC has three users. Myself, my wife & our daughter. My wife & I are setup as administrators & our daughter is a limited user. Today I noticed that when I attempt to logon after my wife has logged off, I cannot physically type in my password. The password box appears, but the keystrokes from the keyboard will not register at the logon stage. The only way to logon is to restart the PC. I used Belarc advisor ver 7.2v to show me any new updates downloaded & installed today. I has informed me 8 updates are missing aal of which appear to be either Office 2003 related or sound card related. I have had Office 2000 installed for about 3 years & has been working fine & still does. I can't figure out why the PC is wanting to get updates for Office 2003!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Angelo Sartore

Melbourne
AUSTRALIA

ADOPT, ADAPT, INVENT, DESTROY !

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Belarc Advisor is not the best tool known to man for Office Updates because it will flag every system with any version of Office as being Office 2003. Likewise it will complain bitterly when there are no Office 2003 updates.

A trip to Windows Update will personalise the site for requirements specific to your computer (you may need to upgrade to Microsoft Update from the site) and if this claims you don't have Office 2003 (by way of it not offering you any updates for said Office) then you can ignore what Belarc claims.

Angelo Sartore

Angelo Sartore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks Neil for the reply.
I have resolved the Office 2003 issues, BUT, the logon screen is still causing grief. I tried to system restore to the previous day, but that did not resolve anything. I am still having to restart the PC if one user logs off & another user wants the PC. As mentioned in the original post, The logon screen appears with all the users available, but no one can type in a password to logon to their desktop.

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

Angelo Sartore

Melbourne
AUSTRALIA

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Does this only happen on certain accounts or does it happen on all of them? This is not normal behaviour, There is probably something running that's changing the default keyboard settings on log-out that isn't running when you reboot.

Angelo Sartore

Angelo Sartore

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
It happens with all users, whether they are administrators or limited. I have a workaround for the time being where I can switch user, logon the new user at the logon screen, switch back to the original user, log off, then switch back to the new logged on user. Boring, yes, but it works. As long as there is a user logged on, switching users is possible. Let me stress, the PC appears to operate just fine in every way except for the log on! Very bizarre indeed. As long as I don't forget & log off. To log back on I need to reboot the PC & start afresh.

I called Microsoft support regarding the problem, I was on the phone with a tech for about 45 minutes trying all sorts of things without any improvement. He went away to do some research on the fault telling me he will call back with some other procedures. That was over 24 hours ago. He still hasn't called back!

Angelo Sartore
1st. AC
Melbourne
AUSTRALIA