Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power surge on hub port

• Please log in to reply

juma48

juma48

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I keep on having this error a few days ago and not sure why, but the balloon keep on popping out and it kinda annoying. It keep on saying "A USB device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port" when i close the message it still keep on popping out. How can i rectify this problem?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi juma48...

This problem usually shows up when the power requirements of a device exceeds what the USB port is capable of providing...external HDD's are notorious for this. The solution is to use an adapter that allows you to connect a single device to two ports simultaneously or use a powered USB hub.

wannabe1

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
USB modems also take obscene amounts of power. Evil things.

juma48

juma48

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Erm....what kind of adapter is it? I dont have any clue how it looks like plus what is a powered USB hub? Sorry, i not familiar with IT stuff thats why i ask this question.

Anyway thanks wannabe 1 and neil jones for helping me out.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A USB adaptor is basically a little box with USB ports on it. It plugs into a USB port on your computer and it basically gives you more ports to play with. A powered one of these uses mains power to make it work (required for laptops) but for a desktop computer you don't need the separate power supply.

juma48

juma48

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I got it....Thanks Neil i see what i can do to get rid of the message.