Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Rebooting and Lock Ups

• Please log in to reply

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Don't panic, I've found an easier way of doing it. This bios update runs from Windows & doesn't require a floppy disk:

http://downloadcente...s...ms&lang=eng

I still advise you go into the bios first & perform the Save custom defaults step. After that boot into Windows & double click on the downloaded file to extract the contents. When the files have extracted, double click on the setup.exe file to run the update. Again, do not interrupt the process.

Bios updates always carry an element of risk, you're right. However, the risk in mimimal & if your board is being so problematic that you were considering replacing it anyway, then you have very little to lose.

Edited by Samm, 03 December 2007 - 02:51 PM.

Advertisements

JessCC

JessCC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
So, your preference is still to do it the floppy disk way? If so, I'd have to find a floppy disk around and hope that the floppy drive does work as I have not used it in years.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
have you tried taking the memory out and seeing if it post ? You probaly have a memory or system board issue. both are hard to diagnose but the post should beep beep beep ect with no memory installed, if no post your board is probaly bad. oh if something worked fine for four years it could still be bad as electronics do wear out and there is the possability of chip creep

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
sorry wrong forum

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

So, your preference is still to do it the floppy disk way? If so, I'd have to find a floppy disk around and hope that the floppy drive does work as I have not used it in years.

No, not really, especially if the floppy disk isn't a new one. It's just I've been doing hardware engineering a long time & old habits die hard - updating the bios from floppy used to be the only method available! Use the Windows based method.