Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Choosing a PSU around 600~650W...need help please

• Please log in to reply

Deadly-Knight

Deadly-Knight

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Greetings!

To the request of admins, I am moving my thread from another topic to here :).

Just to let you guys know, I also have a PoWork 600W...paid 20$ over on Ebay. NEVER BUY GENERIC BRANDS! I now have a problem with my 3.3V...it goes down to 2.7~2.8, and my Aus Probe program sounds an alarm.

I am now changing my power supply but I do not know which one to choose :S. Those are the ones I was looking at.

Thermaltake W0117RU 750w Power Supply SLi Certified

Thermaltake ToughPower 650W W0128RU Modularized Power

I have no SLI...but I like the ability to manage my cables...and also, the power.

Both those Thermaltake PSUs are around the same price on Ebay. I do not want to pay more than 130$, either on Ebay or any other websites but I do want to buy online. I was looking at an OCZ modular. Very nice but a bit too expensive...around 170$ I think. Since the Canadian money is so high, it is to my advantage to buy in US dollars :).

I am interested in having a pretty good looking PSU since I have an acrylic see-through case. It must not go below 600W either and no generic brands >_<.

Thank you and I await your replies!

Best regards,

Sincerely,
Deadly-Knight

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Glad to see you stuck around and created your own topic.

Take this advice, don't buy computer parts of Ebay. It just isn't worth it. You could have a good experience or you could get a dead PSU. Either way it isn't a risk that I recommend taking. Also in your case the PSU on ebay doesn't even appear to be cheaper than on a good website. Most of the other locals agree with me on this.

NCIX.COM is the website I usually see recommended to Canadians.

Here are a couple of my recommendations:

http://www.ncix.com/...nufacture=ANTEC

http://www.ncix.com/.....ne Technology

http://www.ncix.com/...facture=CORSAIR

These are all high quality PSUs. The Silverstone and Corsair have modular cables and are a bit more expensive. Corsairs are known for being very quiet.

Edited by Titan8990, 07 November 2007 - 01:53 PM.

Deadly-Knight

Deadly-Knight

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well, my computer, which I custom-built myself, comes entirely from the web. Parts from NCIX, Ebay, and many other places. I had no problems whatsoever except this 3.3V voltage problem.

NCIX is one of the sites I prefered because of the Price match you can use. I usually succeed in finding a lower price somewhere on the web and I save $ on the item.

As for the power supplies, if I wanted to spend money on a Corsair, I would go with OCZ instead...which I won't because I do not want to spend more than 130$ on one:

http://www.ocztechno...am_power_supply

Is there anything wrong with this one:

Thermaltake ToughPower 650W W0128RU Modularized Power

It's 157.00$ on Ncix but I found the same at 40~50$ less on Ebay. My many past experiences from Ebay were at 95%, all good. So, I do trust them...you just need to be careful from whom you buy.

Thanks! Hit me back please!

unizo

unizo

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thermaltake PSUs are normally of high quality, just make sure it has a high efficiency percentage. :)

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
No, there would be nothing wrong with the Thermaltake, especially with the Purepower or Toughpower series.

In a recent review I read they tested an Antec, a Corsair, and a Thermaltake PSU. The Thermaltake turned out to run at the lowest efficiency of the three while Corsair scored the highest.

What makes you think that an OCZ is as good as a Corsair? OCZs are manufactured by FSP while Corsair is manufactured by Seasonic.

Edited by Titan8990, 08 November 2007 - 02:54 AM.

Deadly-Knight

Deadly-Knight

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

No, there would be nothing wrong with the Thermaltake, especially with the Purepower or Toughpower series.

In a recent review I read they tested an Antec, a Corsair, and a Thermaltake PSU. The Thermaltake turned out to run at the lowest efficiency of the three while Corsair scored the highest.

What makes you think that an OCZ is as good as a Corsair? OCZs are manufactured by FSP while Corsair is manufactured by Seasonic.

I don't know...maybe because OCZ memory is better than the corsair RAM? I thought that maybe their power supplies were the same.

To come back to my choice, to your delights, I will choose the Corsair. Why? Because there's a special sale on it right now :)

http://www.ncix.com/...mp;promoid=1008

Our Price: $148.98 CAD
Savings Code 19831-1008. SAVE $16.01 off our regular price of $164.99 if you buy today! Special price ends 11/20/2007.
After Mail In Rebate: $128.98 CAD
Save $20.00 with manufacturer's mail-in rebate!
Valid from Nov 01, 2007 to Nov 30, 2007

Lucky me :)! I'll be sure to come back and tell you guys how it works!

Thanks everyone!

EDIT: P.S.: Do not get me wrong, I love Corsair. I have 3X1GB Ram in my computer but if I had the money back when I built my computer, I would have bought OCZ memory. This opinion does not come from personal experience with OCZ but from recommendations.

Edited by Deadly-Knight, 08 November 2007 - 12:10 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

I don't know...maybe because OCZ memory is better than the corsair RAM?

That's a debatable statement, both OCZ and Corsair make high-quality RAM. I wouldn't put one over the other :)

Deadly-Knight

Deadly-Knight

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I don't know...maybe because OCZ memory is better than the corsair RAM?

That's a debatable statement, both OCZ and Corsair make high-quality RAM. I wouldn't put one over the other :)

/signed for the 'debatable statement'. I was talking upon recommendations. Never had any for personal experience.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Corsair PSU's are better then OCZ PSU's. The PSU you have chosen is a very good PSU and amongst the most popular right now in the NCIX community.
James

Deadly-Knight

Deadly-Knight

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok guys! I just bought my PSU. Corsair as told:

http://www.ncix.com/...mp;promoid=1008

I found it at a better price somewhere else. Used the price match on NCIX and I saved 13$. Total=165$

More than what I expected to pay but the shipping was 20$ :S. Oh! well...hope it works as well as the reviews.

Thanks all..I'll come back and give you a feedback

P.S.: I always wanted to know why my computer was making that high-pitched sound when it started. Why was the 3.3V voltage was at 2.7V instead of 3.1~3.2V? Now I know...

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Just caught this. Glad to hear you got it worked out :).

Deadly-Knight

Deadly-Knight

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Before installing the new Corsair 620W PSU (please note the bad +3.3V voltage)

Posted Image

After installing the new Corsair 620W PSU (please disregard the red spots on the +3.3V line because I was testing out something)

Posted Image

BOTTOM LINE: This new Corsair CMPSU-620HX 620W ATX Triple 12V 50A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply 120MM Fan 2X PCI-E rocks! I am testing it right now. Going to run Unreal Tournament 3 demo to see how it goes but so far so good...hope it stays like that.

A+ and thanks everyone...will come back soon with some feedback about UT3 results.

Edited by Deadly-Knight, 12 November 2007 - 09:33 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Glade to hear it :)
James