Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Advice

• Please log in to reply

Peddament

Peddament

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
My parents are buying me a laptop for my graduation gift for use at college next fall. I want this laptop to be able to run all the PC games i currently run on my Desktop, but also have the functionality i need it for in it's academic purposes (such as Word, Microsoft Office type things). I want it to be as top-of-the-line as possible so that it will continue to run games well for the next 4 years. I do however have several questions that I am hoping that your staff, which is far more knowledgeable than myself in the inner workings and whatnot of the computer world can answer for me. Here goes:
How much different is gaming on a laptop from gaming on a desktop?
Can I expect the same performance level as I get from my now 2-year old desktop from my new laptop?
And lastly, could you tell me the best configuration in terms of hardware components that will keep me gaming until my next graduation? I plan on getting a custom Dell notebook, so please tailor suggestions/advice to that.
Thank you immensely.

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
from dell i recommend getting atleast a

p4 around 3.0 with hp tech, 1 or 2 gig with dual channel ram, 80-100 gig hd, min. 15.4 screen size, cd-rw/dvd-rw, do you have a price range, maybe if you can give us one we can give you more specific parts and dimensions that you would want

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
yo sox,

whats faster, pentium m or 4?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I would defiantly go with a Pentium 4M. They just changed the numbering system, look for a 7XX (i.e. 745).

Even though the P4M operates at slower speeds, a 1.4 ghz will outperform a 2.4 ghz Pentium 4. It also operates at lower temperatures, and uses less power. All future Pentiums will share this similar architecture.

esse10

esse10

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I play games in my laptop at work......" hope the boss doesn't find out".
You don't get the same graphics capability as you do with a beefed up desktop.
Just make sure you buy something with a good video board with as much as memory you can afford on the board , not shared memory from the system.
Big no, no ..........Do not get a a leptop with a celeron processor they were design for businnes application only , not graphics. Pentium is best, AMD if your on a budget.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
yea the new 4M's are def. much more improved then the 4's,

All future Pentiums will share this similar architecture.

i believe i read somewhere that the future of all chips after a certain date will be changed to match the same outline of the M's