Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

RAM options

• Please log in to reply

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Hi guys,

I was just wondering what my best option would be as far as RAM choices go...

there is a choice between these three;

1. Corsair 2Gb ( 2X1 Gb) 1142Mhz DDR2, with 5-5-5-15 timings
or
2. Cosair 4Gb ( 2X2 Gb ) 800Mhz DDR2, with 5-5-5-15 timings
or
3. Corsair 2Gb ( 2X1 Gb) 1333Mhz DDR3, with 9-9-9-27 timings

They are all ruffly the same price.

I no that vista 32-bit only supports ~3.25Gb, but is it worth the extra RAM for the future?

I am tending to swing towards the DDR3 due to it being more compatiable with the motherboard i am thinking about (Asus P5KC) but i am also concerned with the high timings. Will the high timings be offset by the speed of the modules, or not???

Cause i really dont want to buy DDR2 when the technology is swinging towards DDR3, when DDR2 will be outdated like regular DDR now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Troppo

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
To be honest with you it's to early to invest into DDR3, if you would wait a little bit longer it'd be to your advantage.
Performance wise, I'd go with the first choice.
If you are planning on keeping this computer and getting 64bit in the future for this setup get the second choice.
James

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Thanks for your reply,

I should explain that im still in the process of putting together all of the components, i will be building a brand new system and will run 32-bit until there is more support for 64-bit apps, but i have a fair idea of what i want so far for the major components

CPU; Intel core 2 quad Q6600
MB; i have changed my mind i am now thinking of the Asus P5E3 what do you think of this board?

Again thanks for the reply,

Troppo

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you could wait till January, AMD and Intel will both be launching their new offerings in processors, putting even greater pressure on the price wars, GPU development is also going to be very interesting between now and January.
As for the motherboard, we should see some more competition from Nvidia, with the introduction of the 780i being released in mid November, though there have been rumors of this board being delayed. The problem with the x38 chipsets is that only the PCIe slots are PCI 2.0, while all others are standard slots because of the south bridge chipset. If you can wait, January would probably be a better time to invest into DDR3, assuming the timings get much better then there current state (9-9-9-27, is unacceptably lose).
Also, unless you plan on using the Wi-fi capabilities I'd suggesting getting another board, the Wi-Fi is just an added cost.
Otherwise this is a very good motherboard with a overall nice layout, interesting how the SATA2 ports are angled 90 degrees, will make cable management easier.
James

Edited by james_8970, 07 November 2007 - 07:25 PM.

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Thanks for the advice,

I will be using the WiFi onboard because i want to network the other family computer to this one, i.e sharing internet and 1 printer (You would be able to use the on-board WiFi as a print server wont you??) assuming that you can, adding 100 Au to the price (compared to other equivilent boards) is decent considering that your looking at around 150 for a stand alone router and print server,

I will be building this board over a few months, pay cheque by pay cheque, due to the nature of the summer/christmas season here and will be coming into some money so the entire build might take a few months (maybe 6???) . So maybe by then after waiting a bit DDR3 will be more affordable?

Thanks for your advice again i appreciate it!

Troppo

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I know this is hard, but I highly recommend buying it all together, meaning, just save up your cash and buy it all together instead of piece by piece. The reason? This motherboard will likely be half the price in 6 months.
James

Edited by james_8970, 07 November 2007 - 08:20 PM.

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
True, well i guess i have got some thinking to do then :)

Thanks for the help and advice,

Troppo

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Not a problem, if you have any more question, just let me know, I'd be glade to help.
James