Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVI Downgrade?

• Please log in to reply

Rhionin

Rhionin

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
So I recently added a GeForce FX 5200 video card to my computer to play higher-end games, and I started getting clock/phase problems with my display. After a short bit of research I came to the (possibly wrong) conclusion that upgrading to a DVI cable would fix this. So I bought a DVI-D Dual-Link to see the difference.

When I restarted the computer, the size of my desktop was less than it was on VGA. I went to the display settings to bump it back up, and got that crazy screen that says "this setting is so messed up. don't touch it."

Am I missing some important difference between VGA and DVI? I was very largely under the impression that my display would be better after switching. I'm getting quite the opposite.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
DVI is the better output but you need a card that can output in DVI and a monitor that can support it before you can use it. Simply buying a cable doesn't do anything. They're primarily designed for flatscreen/LCD/TFT technology - do you have a flatscreen monitor?

Rhionin

Rhionin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Gateway® FPD2275W
22" Widescreen High Definition LCD monitor with quoted attributes such as...
"HD-ready"
"VGA, component, S-Video, and composite video inputs"
"DVI-D with HDCP input"
http://www.gateway.c...il/fpd2275w.php

The GeForce FX 5200 video card has a DVI-I slot and the monitor has a DVI-D slot. Therefore I am using a DVI-D cable

Rhionin

Rhionin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
bump. I'd like to know if there's any logic behind this and if it's fixable before I return it

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
When your monitor powers up does it say DVI mode?

Rhionin

Rhionin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
yes.