Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! I can't hear sound from my webpages!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Hkimle

Hkimle

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
hi, can anyone help me with this problem pls:

- i'm using a laptop and before my computer was infected by virus, i can hear sound very good from both computer files and from webpages. but then my computer got infected and after i cleaned my computer up, i can't hear any sound from the web pages like imeem or youtube.... i've follow the instruction of the Sound Trouble Shooter and even make sure that the box where it says "Play Sound for web pages" in the Internet Options is checked but still can't hear any sound from those web pages. but when i play a music file from my computer, it works very well.

and also, the little sound icon with the speaker shape at the right bottom of the task bar is also gone. before it was there but now i can't see it anymore. i have to open the advance volume control by going to the Control Panel. can someone pls help me with this problem?

p/s: i can't hear the sound for both firefox and IE

Edited by Hkimle, 07 November 2007 - 10:40 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi Hkimle!

First, try running SFC (system file checker). It takes a while to run, let it do it's thing.

Next, if that hasn't helped after a reboot, try downloading this:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

Try downloading this program, and find the options to "Show All Inactive Icons" or "Show Missing Icons". One of those should replace the speaker picture into your notification area.

Let us know the results so far, after you've tried these things. :)

Hkimle

Hkimle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
i've done both the things you said but still can't hear any sound from youtube or imeem. and the sound icon on task bar is still missing. i'm using Dell Inspiron B130 Laptop and on the key board has the blue key Fn toghether with the blue keys have the sound icons. before when i press Fn and 1 of those, there was a small window show up to show the volume when i turn up or down, or set it into mute and unset it. but now, it just stays the same, doesn't change anything :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Have you tried running a repair install of Windows XP?

Hkimle

Hkimle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
wait, so do you mean that i have to reset my whole computer?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
It depends on how you want to word it... Read the first post in the link I gave and see if that answers your question. A repair install might fix your problem, whereas it definitely would not fix the malware issues you had.

It was just a question as to what you have tried. I would have attempted this to fix the problem, although there may be an easier way to get it working.

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Lets avoid some major confusion here I m closing this topic help is being received here

http://www.geekstogo...et-t176025.html