Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Disk Drive Not Listed in My Computer

• Please log in to reply

RaedonHysteric

RaedonHysteric

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi, I am posting for a friend, who is having trouble with her disk drive.

Her computer is a Gateway tablet laptop, running Windows XP.

Just today, she went to play a game on her computer, and she could not locate the disk drive in My Computer. It is listed in Device Manager as functioning properly, but the pull down menu at the bottom of the general tab that allows you to enable or disable the drive is grayed out.

The drive does respond to the eject button, and the light flashes yellow when we open or close it like it is trying to read the disk. We have tried loading different disks in, and none of them are read. No error messages are displayed, the computer simply fails to load them.

She has not installed anything new recently. The only out of the ordinary thing with her computer is that it had a faulty power cord which wasn't charging well, so her computer was running on low battery for a long time - she just recently got a new powercord and her computer is fully charged.

The disk drive has worked before, but the last time she attempted to use it was a while ago, so she doesn't know when the problem began. She has no additional disk drives installed on her computer - it is unaltered from how it came from the factory. Her computer was not opened up or messed around with, so the hookup should be the same as it was when the disk drive was working.

As far as we can tell, there is no way to physically remove the disk drive. (With my IBM computer, I can eject the entire drive and then pop it back in to fix problems like this).

We have tried rebooting the computer, and rebooting the hardware (there was a pinhole button on the bottom).

Thank you for any help you can give!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi, welcome to Geeks to Go!

Can you please explain exactly what the Disk Drive is? Is this a hard drive, an optical (CD/DVD) drive?

RaedonHysteric

RaedonHysteric

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Troy,

Thank you for your reply - I actually came home to find out that my roommate had fixed it. We had been talking about the DVD/CD drive. Turns out there was a way to remove it by unscrewing something on the bottom, and when she took it out, and then put it back in a while later, the computer picked up on it.

Thank you anyways, though!

~Raedon

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Thanks for letting us know it's working again! :)

RaedonHysteric

RaedonHysteric

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The computer only recognized that the CD/DVD-ROM was present for a few days, and then it stopped working again. I tried taking it out and putting it back in again, and when I do, the light goes on (the light on the drive), and the computer sounds like it's trying to do something, but it doesn't recognize that the drive is there. I'm not sure why it's doing this, or how exactly to fix it. Any suggestions?

Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Try "safely" removing the drive using the icon in the tray, the remving the drive, rebbooting the computer, then installing the drive after the system has rebooted.

RaedonHysteric

RaedonHysteric

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
When I attempted to do so, the drive wasn't in the list of hardware I could remove safely. The only thing that was listed is my mp3 player.

Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Very good. Then remove the drive, reboot the computer, then install the drive and see what happens.

RaedonHysteric

RaedonHysteric

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
This may seem like a stupid question, but what exactly do you mean by "install the drive"? Will we need to have any software on hand? What is the procedure - where do we go, and is there anything that the installation procedure would not explain or walk us through? Or by install do you simply mean "just put back in"?

If you do mean "just put back in", we've tried that, and it didn't help this time.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Does the drive work fine on another computer, or does the problem still occur? If it still occurs on a different computer, I would guess that it's gone faulty.

Advertisements

Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Just plug it back in.

We are talking about a laptop drive here, so the original poster can't just plug it into any old computer, unfortunately.

I am inclined to believe that the drive has gone bad, though.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi RaedonHysteric...

Let's take a look at the upper and lower filters for the cd-rom problem. Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} In the right pane, are UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters listed?

wannabe1

RaedonHysteric

RaedonHysteric

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
wannabe1 -

It doesn't look like either UpperFilters or LowerFilters is listed. Should they both be there?

~Raedon

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I was hoping they would be so we could remove them.... :)

Open Device Manager and expand "DVD/CD-Rom drives". If your drive is listed there, right click on it and choose "Uninstall"...accept the change. Close Device Manager.

Click Start, then Run, type prefetch and click "Ok". In the Prefetch window, click "Edit" on the toolbar and choose "Select All"...press the delete key...accept the change.

Reboot.

Windows will reinstall the drive when it starts and will repopulate the Prefetch with fresh driver files.

Does your drive show up after having done this?

RaedonHysteric

RaedonHysteric

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I uninstalled it, deleted the prefetch files, and rebooted my computer. A window popped up telling me that it recognized that there was new hardware, but it didn't continue on to installing it. The drive is listed in the device manager again, and the prefetch files have been repopulated, but the drive still isn't listed in "My Computer," nor is it playing any CDs.