Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Disk Drive Not Listed in My Computer

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This still sounds like filters...that or a bad optical drive.

When you were in Registry Editor, are you positive that you clicked on the right CLSID (just click on it to select it...don't open the key). Many of them look nearly identical, but they aren't...{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} is the only one that registers the optical drive. Maybe double check that for me.

Then open Device Manager again, expand DVD/CD-ROM drives, right click on the optical drive, and choose "Properties". Under the "General" tab, what does it say in the "Device Status" field? Does it say "This Device is working properly"? Or does it tell you that the drivers aren't installed?

Advertisements

RaedonHysteric

RaedonHysteric

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I noticed there were many that looked similar in the Registry Editor, and I was very careful to select the right one. I did go back to check again, however, and there were still no filters listed.

In the Device Status field, it does say that the device is working properly. The device usage field below is grayed out, however; I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's not a good sign.

Download the attached zip file and save it to your desktop. Right click on the downloaded file and choose "Extract All". Double click the extracted file and accept the change when prompted.

Reboot and check the drive.

Attached File  cdgone.zip   295bytes   85 downloads

RaedonHysteric

RaedonHysteric

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
It doesn't look like that worked/changed anything. Is the drive itself bad?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's definitely a possibility.

Back to Device Manager and right click on the optical drive. Is there an option for "Enable" in the context menu?

RaedonHysteric

RaedonHysteric

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
No, there is no "enable" option.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, then Run, type services.msc and click "Ok". In the list of services, locate Plug and Play. Is the service "Started"? Is the "Startup Type" set to "Automatic"?

I'm starting to think the drive has failed.

RaedonHysteric

RaedonHysteric

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yes, "Plug and Play" is indeed started and set to automatic.

If it has failed, will I need to replace the drive entirely? How much do those usually cost?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...you would have to replace the drive unit. You should be able to get some idea of the replacement cost from the manufacturer's website.

We've looked at all the usual suspects. About all that's left are the physical aspects ie: bad connectors, bent pins, a failed control circuit, etc. Bottom line is that it looks like a drive replacement is in order.