Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hal.dll corrupted or missing

• Please log in to reply

infinitus

infinitus

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
i recently started up my com (twodays ago) and it prompted me that the hal.dll file is missing or corrupted. this happens right before the windows XP loading page, which means that i am unable to enter windows completely. i have tried all viable means that i can currently, including:

expanding by using expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll.
however it told me that it was "unable to create hal.dll"

i then came across people with similar problems and opne of the suggestion was to use the copy command instead, copy d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll
i was prompted whether i wished to overwrite and i said yes. however after rebooting my com, it still prompted me that the hal.dll file was missing.

i have checked in both cases and confirmed that d: was my cd drive, and that the hal.dl_ was on the disc.

i have also tried to reinstall the OS, as some friends have suggested, as halfway through the setup it would prompt me to hit "r" to repair, as most of my friends have used to solve this problem or similar ones. however when i tried installing, it tells me i nid to remove my previous installation of XP first, and the only way to do so is to reformat. however i have some irreplaceable files on the hard disk and this files were made recently, and thus were not backed up yet.

i later came across and old thread in this subsection of the forum, july 11th 2005, started by oreofudge. in this thread, gerryf suggested deleting and then rebuilding my bootcfg in one of his post. this is the exact same message:

Before you do that, try this:

Boot from Windows xp CD and choose R to enter the recovery console

at the prompt, type
Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
DEL C:\Boot.ini
BootCfg /Rebuild
Fixboot

If that does not work, reboot again and enter the recovery console

type

expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll.

(this assumes you have a single harddrive and your cd-rom drive is D:

Substitute d: for the drive letter of your CD if it is different

restart your PC

now i followed the first part of the suggestion to the tooth, however i got a prompt saying that it had "failed to add the selected bootentry to the boot list". i retried it again and was prompted with the same message. it got even worst as when i tried restarting my com after folowing the second part of the suggestion as the first part did not work, and it prompted me that i had no valid bot.ini file. a check on the c: revealed that no boot.ini file could be found on it. thus i am now stuck with a missing boot.ini file AND a missing or corrupted hal.dll file.

i have done further checking in this subsection and one of the threads started by Vestbiy_Myst on Aug 18th 2007 had a suggestion by The Skeptic saying this:

How to fix error message hal.dll is missing or cannot be found. (Adapted from Shaun Gray, Kelly's Korner).
Remove hard drive from system. Add Hard drive to a 2nd WORKING XP PRO System as Slave on Cable select.
Note: all references to “D:\” are the Slave Hard drive damaged windows.
Boot system and enable Explorer > tools > folder options > view. Check Show Hidden Files and Folders. UN-check Hide Protected OS Files.
A working copy of hal.dll will be found in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386. Copy that file and paste it to “D:\WINDOWS\System32” folder; if it asks to overwrite say YES.
You may now un-do the changes made to Explorer > tools > folder options to re-Hide files.
Shut Down the computer.
Remove the 2nd Drive and reinstall it to its own tower as Master. Bootup. If prompted to reinstall some drivers, Just say YES and let it auto detect.
This "FIX" assumes that the computer in question HAS at ther very least service pack1, if not service pack 2.

before i try this as a second last resort, my last being a full reformat, i would like to ask if there is any other ways left to try and fix this problem. keeping in mind that i have certain important irreplaceable files on my hard disk. i have installed Norton GoBack on my com and. the pc that has this problem is a dell computer. OS version is Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2. i am also using a reinstallation disc provided by Dell when i bought the com.

Edited by infinitus, 07 November 2007 - 11:52 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi infinitus...

You might try a parallel install. This will allow you to recover your data, work on your old installation from within Windows, and may turn out to be a better install to keep. There will be a certain amount of tweaking to do done once completed, but this should put you into a running system and allow you to recover your files.

Boot to the Windows XP installation cd by pressing a key when the "Press any key to boot from cd" prompt appears at the top of the screen.
  • At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter to set up Windows XP.
  • Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8
  • With your current installation selected in the box, press Esc
  • Select C: Partition1 [NTFS] in the box and press Enter
  • To continue setup using this partition, press C
  • Now you should see formatting options...choose the last one, Leave the current file system intact (no changes), and press Enter
  • To use a different folder, press Esc
  • Name the folder WINDOWS0 (just type a 0 (zero)) and press Enter
The Windows installation should begin. This will install Windows to a new folder, leaving your data intact. Any programs installed on the old directory will have to be reinstalled to the new one. Device drivers will also have to be installed for all the hardware to work as it should.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name...so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.

wannabe1

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
hal.dll is probably one of the most difficult to repair error messages. Following wannabe1 sound advice about parallel installation I would like to offer two repair options, both adapted from Kelly's Korner:

Repair hal.dll (option 1)

Enter recovery console
Type bootcfg /list > Enter
Mark the installation you want to reapair
Type bootcfg /rebuild > Enter
Type n (no) when asked to add installation
Type exit

Repair hal.dll (option 2)

How to fix error message "hal.dll is missing or cannot be found". (Adapted from Shaun Gray, Kelly's Korner).
Remove the hard disk from your system. Add the hard disk to a second, working, XP PRO System as Slave or Cable select.

Note: all references to “D:\” are to the Slave Hard disk with the damaged windows.

Boot the computer and click My Computer > tools > folder options > view. Check Show Hidden Files and Folders. UN-check Hide Protected Operating System Files.

A working copy of hal.dll will be found in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386. Copy that file and paste it to D:\WINDOWS\System32” folder. If it asks to overwrite say YES.

You may now un-do the changes made to Explorer > tools > folder options to re-Hide the files.
Shut Down the computer.

Remove the second drive and reinstall it to its own tower as Master. Bootup. If prompted to reinstall some drivers, Just say YES and let it auto detect.

This "FIX" assumes that the computer in question HAS at ther very least service pack1, if not service pack 2.

infinitus

infinitus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
to wannabe1's suggestion:

i have tried to do a repair installation, however when i get to the section in which they require you to select a partition to install windows, my window shows a totally different screen. i would lyk to put up a screenshot but i am unable to as i cannot enter windows at all. however this is a brief discription of my screen:

Windows XP Home Setup

press enter to set up in the partition

press c to create a new partition

press d to delete a partition

partition 0: FAT (a certain value)bytes (48mb)
partition 1: c:\ NTFS (another value) bytes, (another set of values)bytes free {total space free in this partition is approximately 16gb)
unpartitioned space (9mb)

when i select partition 1 and hit enter, it gave me a notice saying that windows is unable to install in this partition, and suggest i either delete this partition and create a new partition in the new space, or select a different partition. at this point i am unable to go any further, and therefore unable to install windows totally, as an repair install or a parallel install. i have right now a sinking feeling that my hard disk maybe failing, as i encountered these similar problems with my old 98. however in my case of the old 98, the hal.dll problem only surfaced in random start-ups. however at that point i had already started hearing the "click of death" from my hard disk. therefore i had manage to back my files up. however as to whether my current hard disk is going to fail or is failing, i am not too sure. however what fueled my suspicion is during the system scans i ran with AVG anti-virus. about a month ago, it nootified me that an error in the boot sector of the hard disk had been detected.

to the skeptic's suggestion:

i have yet to try your suggestion as i nid to go for school. however i would post the results up once i have tried them.

infinitus

infinitus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
to the skeptic:
tried option 1. cannot work.

this weekend would be going over to my cousin house to try attach as a slave drive. hope can repair it... would post the results.

infinitus

infinitus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
have tried to attach as slave but it still wun work. just cant access it. it doesnt even show up under my computers. however it is detected as connected by the bios. got a usb cable adapter and tried to connect to the com through the usb port but i still could not access it. the system could tell that something was connnected, but i just could not access it. suspect my hard disk is dead. calling tech support no choice. ty for all ur suggestions