Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

problems with ace utilities

• Please log in to reply

eleasias

eleasias

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hey guys. Recently a friend of mine was having some problems with adware, and after removing those, i decided to clean up her computer a bit more, along with a registry cleaner. i installed ace utilities, which runs fine on XP computers, but when i tried it on her windows 98, it cleaned okay, but on the next start-up, it booted as if windows was just installed (asked for the windows product key). i found a key on the net just to see if it would work, because she needed files off of it, and when it started up, explorer performed an illegal operation. when she clicks close, nothing opens. I really need to figure out how to fix this, because she really needs files off of the computer. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Eli

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
reistry cleaners are just as likely to be registry destroyers.....

OK, so, you're goal is no longer to revive this system and just get files? How much space is on the harddrive?

This is what I would do in your case. IF YOU HAVE A WINDOWS CD
If you do not have a windows CD, but a recover cd, STOP, post back

Get a windows98 boot disk and start

At the a:\>, type

rename c:\windows c:\bakwin (saves windows directory)
rename c:\progra~1 c:\bakpf ( saves program files)
rename c:\mydocu~1 c:\bakmd (saves my documents if this was a single user system, otherwise your profile is saved in the windows directory)
rename autoexec.bat autoexec.bak
rename config.sys config.bak
rename msdos.sys, msdos.bak
rename command.com command.bak

reinstall windows

srs

srs

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I realize this thread is a month old but if the user had a problem with a registry utility he should simply boot to a command prompt (press F8 a few times as the computer is starting and then choose the command prompt from the menu) and then type in

scanreg

That will allow the user to restore an automatically backed-up registry.

I'm posting this in case someone else finds this thread through Google like I did.

[Note that a somewhat different approach is required for XP.]