Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalling XP

• Please log in to reply

user169

user169

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Just two simple questions. How do I reinstall Windows XP? (by the way if it matters....i dont have my original cd so im buying another)
And this will completely clean the computer right? Because its currently loaded w/ malware/viruses.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
There are some root-kits that will not be erased from your HD on a format. You might want to visit the GTG Malware section to let the Malware experts take you through the steps before you re-install Windows again. Better to know you are clean before hand.

Please go to the Malware section of this forum and follow the instructions at the top. Especially the Click Here link. That will give you several steps that will help you clean up most of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the cleanup process you are still having difficulty, and you may not be, then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

Please be patient as the "Malware Forum" is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the Malware Section, please return to this thread. Please do not post a HiJackThis log in this thread unless asked to do so and then only as an attachment. To attach log, when requested, either change the .log extension to .txt, or put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

Please post back if your problem has been solved.

Ron

jaimejd007

jaimejd007

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
There's root-kits that stay on the computer even after a complete HDD format? OMG, that's insane. How do they do that?

-jaimejd007/Karasuhebi

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Info on Rootkits.
Detecting.
Removing.

RootkitRevealer v1.71

That should answer a few of your questions.

Ron

jaimejd007

jaimejd007

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Read the whole Wikipedia article. So...how can root kits stay even after reformatting? That seems pretty impossible to me.

The only thing that I say that may suggest that is the root kits that go into your PCI expansion ROM. O_O

-jaimejd007/Karasuhebi

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
From what I understand, some reside in the boot sector which is not always overwritten.

Ron

jaimejd007

jaimejd007

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Well if I use a program like dBAN, would it get rid of a root kit in the boot sector?
http://dban.sourceforge.net

-jaimejd007/Karasuhebi

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
That I couldn't tell you not having any experience with dBAN. It does say:

...and a good way to totally clean a Microsoft Windows installation of viruses and spyware. DBAN prevents or thoroughly hinders all known techniques of hard disk forensic analysis

I would give it a try. If you haven't used the program before, please be sure to read the ReadMe.txt file.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 08 November 2007 - 11:12 PM.

jaimejd007

jaimejd007

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I've used it before. In fact, it's the program I always use to reformat people's HDDs. I keep a copy of the CD-R with me at all times. I was just wondering if something as extreme (extreme in the sense of over-the-top, unnecessary amount of wiping and erasing data) as dBAN would get rid of a root-kit. I don't personally have any root-kits on my computer, I'm just asking all of this to better my knowledge on root-kits on how to remove them quickly and swiftly.

-jaimejd007/Karasuhebi

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
There are several available apps which do root-kit specific scans. You could try a free one both before and after if you are so inclined. Then keep the best one for future use along with dBAN.

Ron

jaimejd007

jaimejd007

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Alright thanks for the help Ron. Is there any root-kit removal software you recommend? I was thinking of using Microsoft's own, and also AVG's.

-jaimejd007/Karasuhebi

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I use mostly free stuff and RootKitRevealer from post #4 should be a good start. (Link is a DL link) Micro$oft's and AVG's should be good although I haven't used either. Just keep in mind that no one program can catch everything.

Ron

jaimejd007

jaimejd007

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
When I said "Microsoft's own", I meant RootKitRevealer, since the link you gave was from Microsoft.com. But anyways yeah, thanks for the info and the links. ^_^

-jaimejd007/Karasuhebi

user169

user169

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks. Problem solved in Malware forums.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Those people are great. Glad you got your problem solved.

Ron