Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS Word Header Help - Going Nuts!

• Please log in to reply

acmatters

acmatters

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Hi. I have a document divided into several sections. I'm changing the header in each section. Basically it's the same header, but the person's name changes. i.e. Section one header is Tom Brown Interview Page 1 etc., Section 2 header is Joe Smith Interview Page 1, etc. and so on and so forth. Right now, I have 7 sections. Each section has several pages. For whatever reason, after I get them all looking great, Word changes them all to whatever the header is for the last section. Like if the last section is for Ann Johnson, then all the previous section headers become Ann Johnson. What am I doing wrong?

I hope I've explained this well enough so that you can understand what's happening. Thanks for your input.

Back to add that I've done two different things now and get the same results. Under Page Setup in the Header formatting, I've clicked both "This section" and "This point forward" under "Preview". What am I missing?

Edited by acmatters, 08 November 2007 - 07:08 AM.

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello acmatters,

You've explained the situation very well. By default, Microsoft Word always make the Header and Footer of a new section the same as the previous section. You need to turn off "Same as Previous" ("Link to Previous" in Word 2003) first, or your changes will affect the previous section. This option can be found in the Header/Footer toolbar and looks like this: Posted Image Just click it to turn it off.

Regards,

Ax