Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

why is no one replying to my topic?

• Please log in to reply

x-FoRCe-x

x-FoRCe-x

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I need some help... here is my problem... I am in Iraq right now and I am using a wireless network on my private computer to access the internet... and the other day I found a Trojan Horse Virus on my computer that infexcted 1,158 of my files... not good I know... well I ran my AVG and Healed them all and they are in my Virus Vault right now... the next day I went to log onto the internet I am able to connect to the internet... but whenever I goto yahoo! or myspace of ANY SITE AT ALL... the little bar on the bottom of the window that shows you it loading... well that like does not move at all it tries to load the page and then the page just says after a couple of minutes " Page Cannot Be Displayed "... and it says that for all my web pages that I try and go to... I thought it was because of the Virus' but a few other people are having the same problem but a few people can run the internet just fine... I don't know what to do.... please help me this is the only way I can talk to my wife and if I don't fix it I can't talk to her... please help

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If I understand correctly then you get connected but the computer fails to load internet pages. That could be the result of a corrupted Internet Explorer. The fastest and easyest solution that I can offer at this moment is to download and install Firefox. It's a brilliant internet browser which will take you only few minutes to master.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
While it will remove all toolbars and browser helpers, there is a total "Reset" button for IE. It returns IE to original defaults. Might be worth a try. Open Internet Options and choose the Advanced tab. The "Reset" button is at the lower right.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
x-FoRCe-x,

I realize that you're desperate for help, but please be aware that everyone on staff here is a volunteer - while we try to respond to questions as quickly as possible, it may be that no one that knew a solution had read yours yet. Starting multiple topics will only make it more confusing when someone does help you. I have closed your other 4 threads about this issue - please stay with this one.

x-FoRCe-x

x-FoRCe-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
okay I will try both of the suggestions but I don't know how to get FireFox on my PC if I access the internet and I don't have a thumb drive to put it on and transfer from my computer but I will do my best and get back to you as soon as possbile (likely tomarrow morning around this time)... thank you for all of your help...

latigid

latigid

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Firefox:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

x-FoRCe-x

x-FoRCe-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
well I downloaded FireFox from a different computer and put it on mine and tried both of your ideas... but they both did not work... and I now cannot acccess Windows Live Messenger... and I am having trouble recieving files on my yahoo! messenger.. I do not know what is going on... I think I might have to reformat.... but I don't have the Xp CD... so I don't know what to do please help

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Since the problem is not only yours I wonder if anything has changed with regard to your wireless router or to your position relative to the router. Please report what signal strength you get by clicking the wireless icon at your task bar.

Also, in control panel, double click "wireless network setup wizard". Use the wizard to add another computer to the network and make sure that your workgroup is recognized by the router. Also, if there is any WEP security protection (it's a sort of encription) make sure that you write the correct key (the one that is already in the router).

x-FoRCe-x

x-FoRCe-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
well I get prefect reception (5 bars I think) the connection says "Very Good". and I do not have to put in a key to log onto the network... it will let me connect but in order to access the internet I have to open my internet explorer or FireFox and it driects me to a page that I have to put my username and password into it and then it logs me onto the internet... but when I go to that webpage the only thing that comes up is the icon that says log in and password... I can put those in just fine but no background picstures come up and the page does not finish loading I have to stop it before I let it run too long because it will say that the page cannot be dispalyed... but when I log on I try to go to yahoo.com or myspace.com and it will not come up no webpages will come up... but I can access my messengers and everything except for my Windows Live Messenger... and the other people that are having the same problem can access only about 2 websites but they say that it takes a very long time for it to load... I am wondering because this problem did not start until I got my virus... is it possible for a virus to jump to computer to computer on a wireless connection when everyone is on the same router and connection even though our computers are not physically connected and I have not sent them any files or anything????

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Do you have an IT person in place? I suspect that your internet connection (different to network connection which works fine) is corrupted and needs to be set again. I don't know what type of router you have (cable or dsl) so I am not sure what to instruct you.

Regarding the virus problem among your friends; that can be easilly checked if some of them run their antivirus and see what shows up.

To save on time I will ask for the help of other trusted techs who might have better ideas.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What type of connection are you on? If there are others using the same router experiencing the same type of problem, I would suspect the modem. If you have access to the modem, try the following:
  • Shut down your computer
  • Disconnect the power from the router
  • Disconnect power from the modem
  • Leave everything off for at least two minutes
  • Plug the modem back in...wait two minutes while it resets and acquires the network
  • Plug the router back in and wait for it to acquire the network
  • Turn your computer back on and see if it will connect properly
Let us know if this improves things

x-FoRCe-x

x-FoRCe-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have a wireless connection it is not cable or dsl... but I am about to get off of work in about 30 minutes... so if you can respond within that time I would really appreiciate it...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
another thing you can try if resetting the modem and router doesn't work...

click on start...run..type in ...cmd...press enter or click on OK...in the dos box type in ipconfig /flushdns then press enter..
be sure you put a space between ipconfig and the /
type in exit
reboot

still no joy
try this..
TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands click on Start.... Run..... type in...CMD ....click OK..to open a command prompt box

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults...type in ... netsh winsock reset catalog .... press ...enter

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults...type in...... netsh int ip reset reset.log ... press ...enter

still no joy...

open the dos window again and this time type in ping 66.218.71.80 press enter...

if you get 4 packets sent and 4 packets received you have access to the internet but your browser is screwed up..

x-FoRCe-x

x-FoRCe-x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
it is now fixed... the IT guy came and did something with the router and it works now... my net is going faster then it did before... but now I have a problem with my computer... I think that virus messed up my computer pretty bad because it takes sooo long for it to load the desktop... and sometimes it freezes and does not load and I have to reboot it... I have AVG, Kispersky, and McAfee, the full versions... and I have the demo of SpyDoctor but spydr is the only one that will find all the stuff that is on my computer but since it is the demo I can't take them off... and I do not want to delete the files manually because I do not want to do any further damage... and I don't have my recovery discs here in Iraq with me... is their anything that I can do?... or would I have to reformat???

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Disable or uninstall two of the three Anti Virus applications. Having too many AV programs running at the same time can cause conflicts and give you problems such as you describe.

Let us know if that helps.