Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus erased important system files

• Please log in to reply

bout4911

bout4911

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
A few days ago my computer was acting up so I ran a virus scan. The scan turned up roughly 100 infected files all of which i chose to delete stupidly, not realizing until after I did it that it deleted files from the Windows and System32 folder (I'm running XP SP2 btw). On my next reboot it wouldn't even let me log in every time I would try it would just log me right back off and bring me to the screen where I have to type my password. I still have the same XP disk that was originally installed on the computer so I loaded it up and chose the repair installation option trying to just reinstall the files I deleted so I wouldn't have to completely format my computer and lose everything. It then begins to reinstall windows however i get numerous error messages along the way and when it is finished and it trys to load windows up it goes to a black screen where I can see the mouse for about 5-10 seconds and then the computer just restarts and begins this process again. The error messages I get every time are as follows (in order):

1st error: COM+ Setup Error The specified procedure could not be found. Failed to load the library 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\catsrv.dll'.

2nd: An error occurred loading "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\directdb.dll". The file may not have been installed or it has been corrupted.

3rd: An error occurred loading "C:\WINDOWS\System32\inetcomm.dll". The file may not have been installed or it has been corrupted.

4th: An error occurred loading "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msoe.dll". The file may not have been installed or it has been corrupted.

5th: An error occurred loading "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\wab32.dll". The file may not have been installed or it has been corrupted.

What would you guys suggest I do so that I don't have to reformat my hard drive and lose all my files?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
There are few options available to backup your files even under the present condition:

1: Download Puppy Linux from this link and create a bootable CD. Insert the disk into the drive and boot the computer. If it doesn't boot enter BIOS and set the cd drive to be first priority boot device. When loaded you will be able to get to your documents and back them up to another storage device.

Another option is to create BartPE bootup disk. This is a windows based operating system which can be used in the same way as Puppy Linux.

Both programs are tiny operating systems that loadsinto the ram, enabling some very important functions.

2: Remove the disk and rig it as slave on another computer. This way you can use the other computer's operating system to backup your files.

Regarding repair options:

1: Have you tried to boot into safe mode? I doubt if this will work but no harm trying. If possible boot into safe mode with command prompt. At the prompt type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe. This will open up the restore tables. Choose a date prior to the problem and restore the computer.

2: Try the repair installation again. Please use the link in my signature to a G2G user guide to xp repair. On the whole, xp repair is a very problematic procedure. Very often you end up with more problems then those intended to fix. I use it reluctantly but, again, nothing to lose.

3: backup your files in one of the above mentioned procedures and reformat.

bout4911

bout4911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
When I loaded up the Puppy Linux boot disc it went through a couple different screens & seemed like it was loading it up but then I got an error that said:
"SQUASHFS error: sb_bread failed reading block 0x113fc" &
"SQUASHFS error: unable to read vid/gid table"

I downloaded BartPE but couldnt figure out how to make it a bootable image to burn on a disk. Is there any other way to get to command prompt to try the system restore thing even tho safe mode does not work?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download BartPE from any of the locations in this link. Use the following instructions (copied from the link to BartPE). You need your xp cd, a burner and an empty cd.

This page will help you create your very first BartPE CD. It assumes that you are using Windows XP.

1. Make sure that your system has about 500MB of free disk space!

2. Download the latest PE Builder version (self-installing package) and install it.

3. Start PE Builder (pebuilder.exe). When you start PE Builder for the first time it will ask if you agree with the license agreement.

4. Now PE Builder will ask to search for windows installation files. If you don't have your windows XP setup/installation files on your system you must insert the original Microsoft Windows XP installation/setup CD at this point.
The files you have at c:\windows are not installation files. They are your already installed files!
Click "yes" to start searching. PE Builder will now search all fixed- and CD-Rom drives for Windows installation files. This will take some time. When more than one valid location is found, a dialog will appear where you can select which location you want to use.

5. At the main PE Builder dialog, select the "Burn to CD/DVD" option. When you are using an erasable medium, make sure that the "AutoErase RW" option is enabled. The "burn using" option should be set to "StarBurn". Select your CD writer device from the Device list.

6. Hit the "build" button. PE Builder will now ask you to create a BartPE directory, answer with "yes".

7. The license for your Microsoft Windows XP product is shown. Read it and agree to it to continue.

8. PE Builder will now start building BartPE. This will take a few minutes.
You will see a lot of files getting copied and/or decompressed, the ISO image build and the data recorded to your CD/DVD writer. If the data verify was correct and there where no errors reported you can boot the CD/DVD!

Alternatively you may try to create a bootable Puppy Linux again. Maybe something went wrong with the download or the burning.

bout4911

bout4911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I read this post and it is almost the exact same thing that happened to me so I'm sure this is the virus I have. I then went to this post and decided i wanted to try and repair it using the XP CD. Along the way I the errors I got were as follows:

1st error: COM+ Setup Error The specified procedure could not be found. Failed to load the library 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\catsrv.dll'.
2nd: An error occurred loading "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\directdb.dll". The file may not have been installed or it has been corrupted.
3rd: An error occurred loading "C:\WINDOWS\System32\inetcomm.dll". The file may not have been installed or it has been corrupted.
4th: An error occurred loading "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msoe.dll". The file may not have been installed or it has been corrupted.
5th: An error occurred loading "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\wab32.dll". The file may not have been installed or it has been corrupted.

Now instead of even getting to the log in screen it just goes to a black screen and shuts off. Even when I have my XP CD in BartPE doesnt find any instillation files and Puppy Linux still hasn't worked. Is there any way to get to system restore without being able to load up XP even in safe mode? What do i do?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
My opinion is that the present xp installation on your computer is so corrupted that any attempted repair, other then clear format, is a waste of time.

You can reach restore option only in normal or safe mode. If you can't boot to either of these then restore is not an option.

You tried repair installation which failed, as happens very often. Repair is a much more powerful procedure comapred to restore and if it failed then restore won't help.

I am not sure I understood what happened with BartPE and Linux. I use them quite often without any trouble.

Another option is to move the hard disk to another computer, rig it as slave and use the other computer's operating system to reach your data and back it up.

bout4911

bout4911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Any idea why even when I have my windows xp cd in BartPE tells me it cant find any Windows instillation files? & is there any way to just find the right directory off the cd and just type it in myself?

Edited by bout4911, 11 November 2007 - 09:59 PM.

bout4911

bout4911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I got BartPE to find the right instillation files but then when im trying to create the BartPE.iso image there are 9 errors, if I post you the error log will you be able to tell me what went wrong?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Do you get the errors during the burning of the iso file to a cd or when you try to apply BartPE to your computer? If you succeeded in creating the disk and it doesn't work on your computer, please try it to boot another computer, to make sure it's working properly.

bout4911

bout4911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
BartPE wont let me create an .iso it says there were errors and the .iso couldnt be created. When I try puppy linux in the infected computer it tells me there was an error loading it into ram could it be that something is wrong with my memory?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: Could be. Try Linux in another computer. If you can load it there then there might be a problem with the ram or another piece of hardware such as the cpu or motherboard.

2: Use the link in my signature to download Microsoft memory diagnostic tool. Follow the instructions and create a bootable cd (very simple, for a change). Boot the computer with the cd inside the drive and let it run at least for an hour and report if there are any errors.

bout4911

bout4911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I ran the memory diagnostic tool and it passed every test I tried again to repair it with the xp cd. This time for some reason it actually worked and I can now get back to my log in screen where I have to type a password. When I type my password in it tells me its loading my personal settings and then it just logs me back off. Just like it was doing a week ago but at least now I can get to the log in screen, but I'm stuck with the same problem I still can't use the computer. Any idea how I could try and get rid of this virus without being able to open explorer?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to boot into safe mode and log in as Administrator. maybe this will work.

bout4911

bout4911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Forgot to mention, I've already tried that does the same thing, I type my password it says loading personal settings and then it says logging off and it just takes me right back to the log in screen

bout4911

bout4911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have narrowed the problem down to it being my userinit.exe file from the system32 folder has been erased. When I go to Recovery Console and try to copy the file off of the disk it tells me access is denied. I am logged in with the correct password so that is not the problem. Any suggestions on how I can replace the userinit.exe file?

To be more specific: the reason I cant log on is due to either userinit.exe or wsaupdater.exe being erased from my system32 folder. I've checked using Recovery Console and neither of those files exist on C:\Windows\System32\ like I believe they should. I then tried to recover the files but replacing them with the files off of the original xp cd. I can't remember the letter of the drive that has the xp cd although I'm pretty sure it was D:\ when I enter "copy D:\I386\USERINIT.EX_ C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe" it tells me access denied. I've typed cd a:\ through cd z:\ and cannot access any other drive other than cd c:\ and every time it either tells me there is no disk in the drive or that the drive is not valid. I've tried this on every single drive. The windows xp cd is in one of those drives because thats what I used to get to the recovery console in the first place. please help...

Edited by bout4911, 13 November 2007 - 11:35 AM.