Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Build #1.... Parts List HELP!

• Please log in to reply

cnic

cnic

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey there fellas.. I know from the short time I have been reading here, that plenty of you really know what your talking about.... and I am seeking some advice. I am building a computer, and here is the parts list so far. Please Please PLEASE let me know what I am missing, what is a bad choice, or what you might recommend.

I may not have the "detailed" name for each part.... sorry, I will get it if needed.

Case = Coolermaster Cosmos 1000
Power = 850w Coolermaster power supply
Board = Asus Crosshair nForce 590 Sli
Processor = AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000 Dual core with Hyp
Memory = 4Gb Mushkin
Video = 8800 GTS xfx extreme
HD = 500Gb
Disc Drive 1 = Sony DVD Rom
Disc Drive 2 = Sony Multi Writer
Cooling = Coolermaster Liquid cooling
Audio = Sound Blaster Xfi Xtreame Audio 24bit pci

Running XP Pro.

ALSO!!! I already run dual monitors on my Dell XPS Gen 3. I want to add a third, I realize I will need two vid cards. With what I listed above.... what should I add???

Like I said I know very little about this... any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Alright, I'm going to start by saying I advise against using water cooling if you are a beginner. It complicates things more than they need to be. IMO water cooling still isn't practical due to it's high cost, especially when good results can be achieved with air cooling.

That power supply is overkill, big time. 650 watts is more than enough for this system. I would recommend one of these:

Antec: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817371001
Seasonic: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817151036
And it seems you like Cooler Master: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817171023

For a high end build like this you should be getting a Conroe core Core 2 Duo. The 6750 is what I would recommend because of price/performance ratio. Keep in mind that new chipsets and CPUs will be released in a couple months. This will be coming from both Intel and AMD.

If you still want to build now then I would recommend the P35, 680i, or X38 chipset. The X38 isn't very cost efficient at all but it supports the new PCI-E 2.0 which may be useful later.

Don't buy an factory overclocked video card with a one year warrenty... You can overclock a regular card yourself and not pay the $80 premium.

You will want Vista because without it you will not have Directx10 support.

You won't need the sound card because onboard audio chipsets are beginning to support 5.1 systems.

Edit: I know nothing about running a three monitor setup...

Edited by Titan8990, 08 November 2007 - 01:43 PM.

cnic

cnic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, Great advice already Titan. Thank you. I didn't realize that about the water cooling, and will likely remove it from my system all together. I really really plan to go with two vid cards. I want to run a bigger widescreen on the primary 8800gt / gts, and my two 17's on the other.

Any thoughts, and how does that change the power supply situation.

Vista huh? Really??

Thanks in advance!

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Ah and you reminded me of something. The 8800 GTs give better performance than the 8800 GTS with comparable prices.

If you plan on running SLI GTs then get the Antec or CoolerMaster PSU I suggested. The Seasonic won't have the needed 12v amps.

Edited by Titan8990, 08 November 2007 - 02:34 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you plan on getting a PSU to run SLI, do not get a CoolerMaster, and if it's a Antec I'd go for the Antec Neo HE branded PSU over the True Power, though the True Power's will still get you by. The internals are different.
The power supplies mentioned aren't very high end PSU's and I do not suggest running SLI GT's on them.
James

Edited by james_8970, 08 November 2007 - 09:17 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I just had a look and Antec has changed their Neo HE series to Neopower.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
It seems that currently both are being used.
As for the sound card get the xtremegamer, the xtreme audio version doesn't have EAX support, you want this for gaming.
Like you said you need two video cards to run 3 monitors, so do you plan on running SLI?
Don't get Sony drives, get either LG on Pioneer, Sony is overpriced junk.
James

Edited by james_8970, 09 November 2007 - 10:04 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts

Don't get Sony drives, get either LG on Pioneer, Sony is overpriced junk.
James

This is interesting, James - I have previously had a Sony drive and it was very good (not junk IMO), but yes they are expensive. I currently have Pioneer drives, they are very good quality, especially for the price :)

EDIT: cnic - I recommend the Pioneer drives! And yes, go for Vista, I've just upgraded to it a few days ago, it's very good. With a high-end system, such as the one you're building in this thread, it will run very good for you :)

Edited by troy, 10 November 2007 - 04:13 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Junk may be taking it a little to far, but there is much better for lower prices.
James

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
yes there is better for less like Samsung, LG or Pioneer for the dvd combo drives.

Id definitely go for the 8800GT if you can find them in stock.

Also the OCZ Gamexstream 700W is a very good deal and yes it will even run dual 8800GTs's with ease and its SLI certified. 8800GT use less power than 8800GTS.

I bought all my computer stuff from different sites because I got the parts at different times when I had the money on hand but If you goto www.clubit.com the prices on certain things like CPU's and powersupplies are cheaper there usually..

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817341002

($109.99 after $30.00 Mail-In Rebate)

http://www.clubit.co...itemno=A6276522

Final Price: $92.88* after rebate