Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! I can't hear sound from the Internet!

• Please log in to reply

Hkimle

Hkimle

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
hello,

i'm using Dell Inspiron B130 Laptop with built-in speaker and Windows XP Home Edition SP2. before my computer was infected by a virus named Worm.Win32.Netsky, i can hear the sound from both music files on computer and from websites like imeem or youtube. but after my computer was infected and coachwife6 had helped me clear the computer (Here's the link to the thread he/she had helped me) i can't hear any sound from those websites (imeem and youtube) again. even when the computer starts up or shuts down, i dont hear the signal sound like before. And also the little sound icon on the right bottom on the task bar also disappear although i've check "Place icon on the task bar" in sound properties/options. but i can still hear sound from musics files on my computer. can someone help me pls???

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It looks like the sound driver of your laptop was damaged and needs to be reinstalled. Download the Audio driver from this link.

Edited by The Skeptic, 09 November 2007 - 11:11 AM.

Hkimle

Hkimle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
i've done like what you say, go to this link and download the audio file. then i run it creates a folder name R122161 in C:\Dell\Driver

then i run the installation and when it finished, i restart the computer but still can't hear any sound from the website like youtube, and there's still no sound icon in the task bar. i didn't uninstall the old sound device 'coz i don't know how. i just run that .exe file i download from i website you gave.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download Combined Comunity Codecs from this link. Install it and report the results.

Hkimle

Hkimle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
i installed it and when i click on the icon on desktop, it opens a new window and says New Job, i don't know what to do next

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What icon on the desktop are you clicking? If you installed it correctly then just try to listen to music.

Hkimle

Hkimle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
yup, i followed all the instructions and installed it, then it has an icon on the desktop says that GoodSync V6. when i clicked on it, it opened a new window say something about New Job. and i still couldn't hear any sound from the web pages

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please download and install the codecs again from this link. After installation is complete you can delete or ignore the icon or your desktop. Just try to play music and see if it works well.

Hkimle

Hkimle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
that's really weird, still can't hear anything from youtube. omg. wat's wrong with this computer anyway!?!?!? :)

Edited by Hkimle, 13 November 2007 - 12:34 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Quoted from another forum:

Yay I fixed it thanks for the suggestions.

here is how it was a posting on an adobe fourm I found about 6 pages deep on the google search for no sound from youtube:

Alright the problem is really the mapping of wavemapper in Windows registry as reported by one member of the forum. All you need to do is to open registry editor by going to Start menu, Run, typing regedit and then Enter. After that, in the registry editor, walk yourself through the tree in the left pane, till you reach

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32

And then on the right pane, right click and click on New, select String value, enter "wavemapper" (without quots of course), ENTER, type "msacm32.drv", ENTER.

Close the editor. No need to restart. Video on Google and YouTube et al would work fine now.

Thanks to the member who pointed out the key. I just mentioned the procedure.

Advertisements

Hkimle

Hkimle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
yay yay yay *claps* *jumping* :) thanks, thanks a lot. i don't know how i can't do without your help. you're my angel :) big thanks to you. now i can hear the sound from the web pages again :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.

Jaitrois

Jaitrois

• Pip
  • 1 posts
OMG thank you thank you thank you! It worked and I have tried it seemed like EVERYTHING! Thank you! :)

d-rawk

d-rawk

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
i have the same problem only i have windows vista. can you please help me. i have been looking for a solution for so long. I can hear sound from limewire and such but i can not hear any sound from youtube or any other website..... HELLLLLPPP!!!!!

Henny123

Henny123

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have a similar problem in XP.

My sound worked fine.

Then I got a vundo virus which Sage5 was kind enough to help me fix.

But after this, sound works fine everywhere except for sound coming from the internet (i.e. streaming video and such). I can play mp3s, video games, movies, etc with sound, but nothing on the internet.

Plus as hkimle pointed out, my audio controls were removed from the tool bar, and they don't reappear if I check them in control panel.

I tried the regedit suggestion, but "wavemapper" already existed in my registry (so I deleted it and added it again ...no change).

Any other suggestions?

Edited by Henny123, 22 January 2008 - 11:35 PM.