Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update causing BSOD?

• Please log in to reply

soul40k

soul40k

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hey guys, been a while since i've needed some help!

I don't know what the [bleep] is going one, but I reinstall windows XP and as soon as I do windows updates (its a certain one, i dont know which one, but its near the end of my updating (i do like 10 each time then restart)) that will cause my computer to BSOD with a BAD_POOL_HEADER error, its fine all the way untill i do windows updates, like if i didnt do updates, it would stay up as long as i kept it on. What usually happens is it BSOD's, then ill have to restart, then it will let me log in 1 time, and upon loading the desktop GUI, it BSODs, then it wont even get past a blinking underscore after that.

I have a asus m2n-sli mobo
amd athon x2 2800+ with a artic cooler 64
2 Nvidia 7600 GTOCs,
a Dlink wireless card
1 gig of ram

(without looking more directly lol)

If anyone has any ideas let me know.

Update: Attempting a windows repair.. see if that helps anything.... CAuse so far all i can think of is a driver having a problem with windows updates... CAuse like i said, it works PERFECTLY before updates. if this works, ill let you know, and ill start doing DL's again but do it by 5 to see at least 1 of 5 it could be (maybe go by 1 near the end of the list).

Edited by soul40k, 08 November 2007 - 07:49 PM.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
soul40K,

Unfortunately because you are doing a windows repair we will be unable to determine the cause of the blue screen. We will need to wait until you get the blue screen again before we can correctly troubleshoot this issue.

soul40k

soul40k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Yea I figured as much. It's nearly done updating so I will let you know. thanks for looking though, next time i wont be so anctious to try and fix it myself.

Update
It attempted to start again after repair, and simply restarted after running the windows loading splash screen., I just started it in safe mode. after that, and i got to the user log in, and desk top. and so far no BSOD

Isnt bsod'ing on safe mode. Should i attempt to remove drivers?

Edited by soul40k, 08 November 2007 - 08:07 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello soul40k,

We want to run the offline crash diagnostics to get a quick snapshot at what could possibly be the problem with you getting Blue screen error messages.

First we want to download the offline crash diagnostic. You can obtain that here
Now we want to Run the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool
After you save the WindowsXP-KB923800-ENU.exe file, follow these steps:

1. Double-click the WindowsXP-KB923800-ENU.exe file to install the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool.
The installer adds the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool files to the %Windir%\Pchealth\Helpctr\Binaries folder.
2. Click Start, click Run, type ocadiagnostic.exe ,and then click OK to run the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool.
3. Agree to let the tool send information to Microsoft. Then, click Next.
The tool performs the following tasks:

• The tool determines the number of dump files on the computer.
• The tool finds any dump files that are located in the %Windir%\Minidump folder. You can choose to send all the dump files, or you can choose to send individual dump files.
Note The last 10 dump files to be created are collected. Dump files are not collected if they are more than one year old.
• The tool automatically sends the dump files to the Office Crash Diagnostic Microsoft database Web site for analysis.
• The tool downloads the response URLs.
• The tool displays the response IDs. The tool also provides hyperlinks to the Office Crash Diagnostic Web site.

Go ahead and report back the Response IDS with your next post.

soul40k

soul40k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Installed
Agreed to upload
Saw "Today: 1. C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini110807-01.dmp; Crash on 11\08\07 at 20:26:02 Hrs."
Clicked next
Uploading crash dump files
Files have been uploaded
Diagnostic has returned the following response. select the links to view more info about my problem:
Web Response ID:10.

Which if im not mistaken is caused by a driver. Thanks so far, I had completly forgotten about the microsoft office thing.

soul40k

soul40k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Update, started up normally again and got another error, different, running Offline reporter again,

Web Response ID: 271 on this one.

This one is said to be from NVIDIA, so im going to go ahead and attempt to update the drivers on that one to at least fix that.

Update,

I installed drivers, it got the furthest yet, the login screen, then another bad pool headerr error. So I will check out the new error, and try to fix that again, i like that program, cant believe i forgot about it.

Update:

Apprently I fixed the 271 error, and now its back to 10.

Edited by soul40k, 09 November 2007 - 06:26 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Blue screen error messages are one of the most misunderstood error messages out there in regards to windows.According to Microsoft, only 5-20% of these errors are actually caused by the OS. Only 10% are hardware related. The other 70% are the result of faulty drivers or software incompatibility. Based on those numbers, less than 15% of blue screen errors can be permanently resolved with an OS reinstall.

So we can correctly solve this issue we need to get the minidumps.

To get the Minidumps do the following

1 > Create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like.
2 > Navigate to %systemroot%\minidump You can paste that address in address bar to get there. Then copy the last few minidump files to that folder.%systemroot% is normally c:\windows. They are numbered by date.
3 > Close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder. Please do NOT compress them in .rar
4 > Use the "add reply" option upload that zip file here as an attachment.

soul40k

soul40k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Heres the minidump, everything i saw in the folder is there! Thanks for the help.

Attached Files

soul40k

soul40k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Sorry, I dont mean to be a jerk, but does anyone have any idea?

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Sorry It has been so long since I replied homework a ton of homework has sneaked up on me. I will get to this tonight with the results.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
soul40k,

What type of network card do you have?

soul40k

soul40k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Its a D-Link DWL-G520 High Speed 2.4GHz (802.11g) Wireless 108Mbps1 PCI Adapter If I am not mistaken.

I appreciate it, and understand the homework part :) that's why im wanting to get the pc back up, this laptop just isnt that great for running the programs i need for school.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I would try reinstalling that network adapter see if that helps.

soul40k

soul40k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
sounds like a good idea.

soul40k

soul40k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Ok, i just finished uninstalling and removing all registry file information on the D-LINK, and when starting back up it loads the windows splash, login, loads personal settings, desktop, and is working.

I will keep it urnning, do all i can to see wha ti can do to see if it will BSOD again, but it seems like it was the dlink.. Any idea on how i could fix that? I need that card to get internet lol.