Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Build HELP!

• Please log in to reply

Mike11418

Mike11418

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hey guys so i finished putting my system together and then i go to start it up and i can't get any connect to my monitor!!!! Fans working (both CPU and Case) mouse gets power, but VGA port doesnt seem to work same thing with the USB ports...........What are the reasons that this might be happening? And how would i fix this?

Edited by Mike11418, 09 November 2007 - 08:57 AM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would check and make sure that all the power plugs are plugged in and seated securely. Make sure both the 20/24 pin and the 4pin are connected to the motherboard. If you are using a video card (aka not using onboard video) make sure that you have power connected to it, if it needs it.

If this doesn't solve it, try removing the cpu and reseating it. Do the same for the memory and any PCI/AGP/PCIi cards you may have installed in the system.

If that still doesn't work, disconnect everything from the motherboard, leaving only the video card in an AGP/PCIe slot (if you have one). Remove all IDE/SATA cables from the motherboard. All PCI cards. Basically try just the minimal amount of components that are needed to get a picture on the screen and into the bios. If that works, then it's trial and error to see which component is causing the hangup.

Fenor

Mike11418

Mike11418

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
hey thanks Fenor, I tried that though to no avail unfortunately. I contacted Newegg and they said to send the MOBO back for a replacement. Hopefully everything goes through and I'll have a working build by next weekend!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hope the new one works for you. Just remember one tip, if you don't use it already, and that is to test the mobo outside of the box first so that you know it works. That meaning, seat the cpu and heatsink/fan. Install the memory. Install the video card if you use one. Connect the power connecters to everything that needs power. Connect a keyboard, not USB if able just for testing purposes, though most new mobo's support usb keyboards out of the box. You can use a screwdriver between the two leads to complete the circuit and start the computer booting up.

This just allows you to really narrow down any problems that arise, because if it can't boot out of the box then there are only a few things that can be causing it: CPU, Mobo, RAM, Video Card.

**EDIT** -- Also don't forget to plug the monitor cable into the mobo/video card. Forgotten that before and was looking everywhere for the problem until I saw that blasted little cord laying next to the mobo. :)

Edited by Fenor, 09 November 2007 - 04:48 PM.