Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Scratchy Noise

• Please log in to reply

Slikkie

Slikkie

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Morning all

Lately, whenever the little orange light on my case flashes, I hear a kind of dull, scratchy noise. I know this noise is significant in older PC's when the processor is working or something like that. Mine however, has never made this noise and It's a 2006 PC. What could this be? :)

Thanks
Slikkie

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Open the box and try to locate the source of the noise. By your description it sounds as if your hard disk is developing a problem. It would be wise to backup all important data.

Slikkie

Slikkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Thanks for the reply.

I can't open the box though, as my PC is still under warranty. :)

Any other suggestions? Is there a way to test the hard drive?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
A hard disk can have, generally, two types of problems: Logical and electromrchanical. Yours, if I am correct, seem to be of the second type, which must be covered by gurantee. I think that your best option is to talk to the supplier and bring the computer for inspection.