Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD Rom changes name

• Please log in to reply

Slikkie

Slikkie

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Morning all

Occasionally, I would go to My Computer and find that my DVD RAM Drive now displays as a CD-ROM drive. Also, when I try to burn a CD with Media Player, it tells me to connect a burner first, yet my ROM is able to burn DVDs and CD's. After a computer restart, I find that it's back to DVD-RAM drive in My Computer, yet only for about an hour or so.

Is there any way to fix this? Windows bug maybe or failing hardware? :)

Thanks
Slikkie

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
In device manager go to DVD/CD-Rom drives. Expand to view the installed drives. Right click each of them and uninstall the driver. Reboot and let windows reinstall the missing drivers.

Slikkie

Slikkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Thanks for the reply

I did as you instructed, yet Media Player still gives me the error.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to download Cheetah DVD burner and burn a disk. It's a very good program free for 30 days.