Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Debian and Dell(Linux and Dells don't mix...)

• Please log in to reply

ke6ziu

ke6ziu

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I have a Dell WebPC that I've tried installing Debian on. So far, I have been unable to get the X server up and operational. I've even tried editing the XFree86config dox so that the Debian recognises my devices. I have a usb mouse (Fedora sees it, but debian doesn't...), and usb keyboard. They don't work under X in Debian, but do in Fedora...I've tried using all the help dox within the Debian environment, but no success as of yet. Mind you, I have a command line, but I want to install the GUI. I've also been able to install Fedora Core, but after rebooting, the Linux install gets corrupted, and I'm unable to boot back into Linux. I need a bios update or a better bios overlay app than the Seagate one that I have. Anyone have any ideas?

Advertisements

cjsewell

cjsewell

• Pip
  • 1 posts
What version of Debian are you installing? ( Sarge , Woody . . . )

What boot loader are you using? ( Lilo , Grub . . . )

I don’t think that your boot loader will sit nicely with the Seagate software.
The software from Seagate ( called a Dynamic Drive Overlay) usually sits in the
mbr, where lilo or grub sits.

First I would update your bios or use a smaller drive for testing, then go from there.

Edited by cjsewell, 28 April 2005 - 03:09 AM.

ke6ziu

ke6ziu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

What version of Debian are you installing? ( Sarge , Woody . . . )

What boot loader are you using? ( Lilo , Grub . . . )

I don’t think that your boot loader will sit nicely with the Seagate software.
The software from Seagate ( called a Dynamic Drive Overlay) usually sits in the
mbr, where lilo or grub sits.

First I would update your bios or use a smaller drive for testing, then go from there.

View Post

I was using woody, and the boot loader was lilo, that much I remember. But that wasn't the problem. Dell uses an O/S specific bios. Which means that any release of Linux that I install on this Dell will fail. As far as bios updates, I know that this bios is a AMI/Intel project (Intel wrote it, and licensed it to AMI...), and I have yet to locate an update for it. I do, though have a means to flash the bios, but I haven't done that yet. I've tried using the DDO from Seagate, but it didn't take on this machine. I'm kinda at wit's end here. I even went to Dell's user forums for info. The only release of linux to be successful on this box was the woody release of Debian. I just need a newer release (I think they're up to ver 10...). If you have any more info, plmk... :tazz:

Edited by ke6ziu, 28 April 2005 - 08:14 PM.