Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Call of duty 4 reviews

• Please log in to reply

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
After CoD4's release the reviews are pouring in.....

"The single-player campaign is over in a flash, but the high quality of that campaign and its terrific multiplayer options make Call of Duty 4 a fantastic package."

Source: GameSpot

"The single-player experience is easily Infinity Ward's best work to date."
"This is a truly fantastic multiplayer offering that's as deep as any other online game available."
" Infinity Ward has done it again. Call of Duty 4 is a winner."

Source: IGN

"The comprehensive multiplayer features are going to ensure that COD4 will remain on players' hard drives long after the single-player story has been completed. And to have such great graphics, sound and gameplay on both the single-player and multiplayer sides, gamers everywhere are going to count themselves lucky."

Source: ActionTrip

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
Well, medal of honor: airborne was a huge disapointment. So, with a little trepidation I played the demo. I was suitably impressed. How was this going to play in the full version? More importantly, how was multiplayer going to work?

In a word: Stupendous!

I won't reguratate to much about single player. You can read most of the stuff in the reviews above. I'll just say that the ai is good. The effects work well. That it was fun to play. They understood that most people wanted single player, but really bought the game to do multiplayer. They delivered well on both counts.

First of the map layouts, textures, graphics and such are excellently done. I only found one map that there was a tiny bit of clipping with a player model sticking through a building wall. Only place that I have seen that.

They took a look at the upgrades and stats that many other games have tried to do. They seem to have taken the best from those and melded them into something that works great. Lots of ranks to get. Lots of accomplishments to obtain along the way. Everything has multiple levels of accomplishments that you can earn.

Weapons balance and upgrades. I wasn't sure how this was going to work at first. Your default weapons are really well balanced. You get more weapons and weapons upgrades as you play. Only one that looks ridicules is the uzi with the monster ACOG site. What it boils down to is that once you earn all the upgrades and perks is that you can customize your own class. Choose your favorite weapons, features/upgrades, and perks.

For example I have one I called "heavy". Colt 1911 45 auto for the pistol. M60 e4 machine gun with red dot (laser) site. For the perks I went with fast reload and last man standing. Essentially you can create 5 custom classes tailored to your indiviual desires/whims.

My server has been packed since we got it up and running. I am very pleased with this game and see me spending just as much time playing it as I have cod2. So far it's been the best mulitplayer game this year. I think it will hold up nicely against the competition.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Me I just completed the Single Player Last Night. Don't forget to sit though the credits there is a "Bonus Round." I agree it was over rather fast the story was ok a bit confusing because they jumped between who you were. You really involve yourself in the game on the sniper level I could not tell if it was my own heat beating that I was hearing or if it was just the game. I am new to First Person Shooters so I played it at the lowest level. This is a game that I think I could practice my gaming on and play the game in full to go up at time goes on. I like the idea of the arcade mode.

As for Multiplayer as with all Multiplayer games with me I am not that good with them so I have somewhat avoided except when playing it in a small LAN setting with people I know so I don't get frustrated loosing to a nameless face. Have not played it online yet though will let you know how it goes.

Something interesting though on one of the levels the triggers got stuck in a loop I guess they did not expect me to play a specific way so I had to restart that level over.

Edited by tuxmaster, 18 November 2007 - 01:40 AM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
I completed the sp this week. Played through on medium level. There were a number of missions that had a serious pucker factor. I don't like stealth mission very much. I don't have the patience. However, when they put in on the sniper assasignation mission.... and you have to go through that field of enemy troops and personel carriers.... wow! Then there was the ac130 gunship mission and then the rescue mission. I thought it was very well done.

Been playing mp for over a week. Per normal, we (my clan) already has a reputation on having one of the best servers. That is something that we try really hard to do. Some maps are a bit small for some of the game types. Ship doesn't play well with anything other than tdm. Most maps have a "small" feel to them. Overgrown is probably my favorite map. All in all I have no complaints. everything seems really well balanced. I think the use of airstrikes and choppers are overdone. Wish there was a way to limit them. However, any changes you make either don't work because your in ranked mode or will cause your ranked server to become unranked.

Since one of the key things is to earn rank which will get you unlocks and perks..... Having a great time.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Ya when I play though I have to play stealth I am piratically not good at anything else. I just played a bit multilayer and on the mission with the statue in the middle with the apartments on all sides I just found myself a nice corner and started taking out players. I got a total of 8 without dieing. The multilayer is actually done well too when you die it does not take you out of the game like it does in CS you just respawn. I am fine with that since I usually die 2-3 times more then the number I kill. I must be getting better I don't know if it because of the scope or me routinely playing but I used to only kill one person and die the rest.