Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Which Graphics card is better?

• Please log in to reply

Oddysee

Oddysee

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Hello, basically I have two computers. One which I mainly play games on like WoW for an example. The other one I use for typing documents and watching the odd film on now and again.

My better computer which is the one I use for gaming has a Nvidia Geforce 4 128Mb Ti 4200 graphics card. Which surprisingly runs warcraft pretty well. My other is a 64 MB card.

I want to upgrade the computer with the 64 MB card. So I was wondering if I brought this card http://www.ebuyer.com/product/119722. Would this be better than my Ti 4200? If it is I could upgrade the Ti 4200 and then use it to replace my 64MB card.

I'm also looking to buy 1gb of RAM. Anyone know where they go cheap apart from Ebuyer?

Advertisements

Dave Kruger

Dave Kruger

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Yes, the card you posted the link for should work better than your ti4200 card.

For memory, ebuyer seems to have pretty good prices, but I could be wrong, since I am not used to dealing with anything except us dollars. Usually I endup buying memory from local stores.

Oddysee

Oddysee

Spammer

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Got the card today. Installed it and when I opened up warcarft 3 I noticed graphics gliches. I ran a scan on pcpitstop and they gave me a red flag for graphics. It said my graphics card was running at 15 MP/S. My Geforce 4 Ti 4200 got a result of 178.6 MP/S.

I install it using the most recent drivers from Nvidia. I decided I'll even try it on my other computer with the same results. My Geforce 2 card got a score of 59.2 MP/S.

I tried playing Soldier of Fortune 2 with the new graphics card and it was terrible. Laggy as [bleep]. My Geforce 2 64MB card plays it better.

The new card plays video clips ok on youtube but thats about it. Any idea or is this card faulty?

Dave Kruger

Dave Kruger

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
My first thought after hearing the results, would be that it is a faulty card.

If the card were good, it should for certain out perform the geforce2, and should also out perform the ti4200. I would contact their tech support about the results with it.