Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My Keyboard and Mouse stop working when I resume from hibernation

• Please log in to reply

Slider92

Slider92

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Every time I resume from hibernation in Vista, my keyboard and mouse stop working. I need to replug the USB of both to make them work again! It's really annoying! How do I fix this? Is there an update for this? I've hard there are a couple of updates for hibernation and sleep problems!

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello Slider92,

This may be a power management issue. System hibernation is sometimes touchy when it comes to hardware stopping and starting. Go to Start | Run, type devmgmt.msc, and press Enter. In the properties of all USB Root Hubs, clear the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option. You shouldn't have to reboot.

Let me know how it goes,

Ax

Slider92

Slider92

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
The " Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option wasn't checked. And the strange thing is that when I hibernated yesterday and resumed my computer today, I didn't have the problem. But it may happend again right?

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
It may, with these things you sometimes never know until they happen again. It looks to be a Vista issue where the hibernation feature doesn't work the greatest with certain types of USB devices. The following is the only MS KB I found dealing with the issue:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930091

Hope this helps,

Ax

Slider92

Slider92

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Seems like my problem is gone, as it has not occured again, and I did what was said on the microsoft page, but I don't know if that is the thing that solved the problem. Anyhow hibernation works nicely (except that it was much faster on XP, but I can't have everything right?)

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Sounds great, glad it's working for you. Sadly, no, we can't have everything, but we can hope! Maybe on the next service pack things will be better.

Regards,

Ax

Slider92

Slider92

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
When exactly is the Windows Vista Service Pack coming out? I heard there is a Beta Version out.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
You are correct, the first beta was released on 9/24/2007. It appears that the final build of the service pack will be in the first quarter of 2008. I believe one of the first target dates for the service pack was July of this year, but I don't mind that they take a bit longer if it makes for a better release :). It seems they are also attempting to appease some big software company requests.

More info: Windows Vista

Regards,

Ax

Slider92

Slider92

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
i just read a news about a Vista Service Pack 1 Release Candidate. does that mean that this pack may be the one that will be the final version

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Yes, it may:

Release candidate
The term release candidate refers to a version with potential to be a final product, ready to release unless fatal bugs emerge. In this stage, the product features all designed functionalities and no known showstopper class bugs. At this phase the product is usually code complete.

Microsoft Corporation often uses the term release candidate. During the 1990s, Apple Computer used the term "golden master" for its release candidates, and the final golden master was the general availability release. Other terms include gamma (and occasionally also delta, and perhaps even more Greek letters) for versions that are substantially complete, but still under test, and omega for final testing of versions that are believed to be bug-free, and may go into production at any time. (Gamma, delta, and omega are, respectively, the third, fourth, and last letters of the Greek alphabet.) Some users disparagingly refer to release candidates and even final "point oh" releases as "gamma test" software, suggesting that the developer has chosen to use its customers to test software that is not truly ready for general release. Often, beta testers, if privately selected, will be billed for using the release candidate as though it were a finished product.

A release is called code complete when the development team agrees that no entirely new source code will be added to this release. There may still be source code changes to fix defects. There may still be changes to documentation and data files, and to the code for test cases or utilities. New code may be added in a future release.

Source

Slider92

Slider92

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Seems like I got this new problem with hibernating. Now it sometimes doesn't really completely hibernate. It shuts off the screen, but the computer is still running. This doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes it does really hibernate. How do I fix this?

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Sorry for the late reply, check out the following MS KB article:
Cumulative update rollup for Windows Vista

Let me know whether it helps,

Ax