Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP OEM Repair Using XP Home Upgrade Disk

• Please log in to reply

esksfan

esksfan

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I read through the pinned topic, but couldn't find anything pertaining to the topic I've posted.

I have a friend who's PC I wish to do a Windows XP repair. He has an OEM Version and I was able to gather the activation info using the traditional methods. Can I repair his XP Home OEM installation using my legal XP Home Upgrade disk? He doesn't have a copy of the OEM disk when he had the PC built a couple of years ago?

Thanks

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Yes, you can perform a repair using an XP disc that wasn't supplied with that PC -- but only if your version of XP is the same as the version you want to repair (whether or not it's an upgrade CD doesn't matter though). So, it's the version that's the critical factor here:
If both are XP Home, that's okay.
But if your XP CD includes SP2 (all recent copies did), and the PC you want to repair doesn't have SP2 (or vice versa), that may also be no-no but I do stress MAY -- I don't know.

However, since what you propose to try is all perfectly legal, just give it a go and see if your CD is accepted.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You can repair an OEM installation with a Retail CD, but the Retail CD won't accept the OEM licence key. Likewise you can repair a Retail installation with an OEM CD but that won't accept a Retail key.