Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

f_panel

• Please log in to reply

yvain4

yvain4

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello I'm in the middle of building my new pc.. Everything was going good til i hit the f_panel.. Now i'm new to this and the motherboard manual isnt telling me a thing i donno which way the wires plug in or where. also the power led pins there are 3 of them but the cable has two. I tried checking online for more info but no luck.. also how do i tell pos from neg on the wires? i hope someone can help me

motherboard
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128014

case
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811119138

this is exactly what mine looks like evn though its a different model

Edited by yvain4, 09 November 2007 - 05:59 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You did download the PDF manual from here, right?

http://www.gigabyte-...mp;FileID=17280

In the PDF it shows where you connect the wires from the front panel to the motherboard.

Looking at the motherboard the FP connectors are numbered from left to right like this

2-4-6-8-10-12-14-16-18-20
1-3-5-7- 9 -11-13-15-17-19

1 = hard drive light+
3 = Hard Drive light-

2 = power message light+
4 = Power message light-

5 = reset switch+
7 = reset switch-

6 = power switch+
8 = power switch-

If you have other wires from the front panel they are probably for USB front ports ( or Firewire ports) which connect to the USB connectors on the motherboard. They are in a different place than the FP connectors on the MB.

The connectors on the wires should have markings on them to indicate what they are for. These markings say what they are for. Look at this website to see what i mean.

http://www.extremete...,1149953,00.asp

Note that the power switch, reset switch and speaker connectors can be installed without worrying about the polarity. The LED jumpers, however, must be installed with the correct polarity. This usually means that the (+) pin is connected to the non-black connector. I think you will notice that all the LED lights have a white wire going to them but have a different colored wire for each of the LED's. The white wire is the - wire and the colored wire is the +.

Hope this helps.

SRX660

yvain4

yvain4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ok i have everything set up but the power led there is nothing on the mother board that says where + and - go and also the case connector is 2 pin and the motherboard is 3.. and on top of that my friend just plugged it in and turned it on and the computer shut off and on real fast. everything was hooked up except the video cards i was running now it wont turn on =/

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you did not download the motherboard manual you really need to do that and look at the diagrams there. It does explain which are the positive and negative terminals.

Now you will have to go thru a step by step process to find out where your problem is.

Likely Cause: Could be anything.

Determining whether the issue stems from hardware or software is part of the fix.

The Fix: You'll have to play Sherlock Holmes to figure out what's dead. Take it step-by-step.

1. First thing: Check all cables (including the plug into the electric socket) to make sure everything is hooked up nice and tight. You need to double check to see that all cables and wires are hooked up properly and to the right connectors.
2. Next, see if the power supply turns on. Listen for the sound of its fan or of your hard drive spinning. If you hear nothing, your power supply probably needs to be replaced. To confirm, consider testing the voltage output with a power-supply tester such as PC Power and Cooling's $10 ATX). Of course, you should also check your home's circuit breaker before doing major PC surgery, and try powering another device from that outlet to make sure it's getting juice.
3. If your power supply is okay but nothing appears on screen, plug in a different monitor (borrow one if you must) to ensure it's not your display that's blown. If the monitor proves to be good, try replacing the video cable. Still nothing on screen? If your drive is spinning normally, your video card is probably bad. To replace it, see our video guide, "How to Replace a Graphics Board," or use the video output integrated into your PC's motherboard, if it has that feature. While your case is open, make sure all the fans inside work when you power on the PC. You could have excess-heat issues.
4. If your monitor is working but you detect no hard-drive activity and see no display (or you see a display but the PC can't get through boot-up), reset the CMOS. Shut down the PC, unplug it, ground yourself, and take out the battery on the motherboard (click on photo above). Wait 5 minutes, and consult your PC manual or go to the vendor's Web site for instructions on resetting the CMOS jumpers. Reboot and see if that fixed the problem.
5. If the PC is still not functioning, bad RAM could be the culprit. Remove one memory module at a time (or replace each module with a known good one) and reboot after each test. Alternatively, create a free MemTest86 boot disk on another PC, and try using it to test the RAM.
6. If none of this works, your motherboard or CPU is probably damaged, and will need to be replaced. It may be that your Motherboard or a hardware was bad from the get-go. See if you can RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) any hardware that is bad, back to where you bought the hardware. The problem here is you may have wired it up wrong and caused the problem yourself. They may still replace it but the also may choose not to do so.
7. Finally, if the PC's BIOS routine runs but the drive won't spin, your drive may have crashed. See "Problem: Your hard drive has crashed" for help with that.

I do not understand what you mean by "case connector is 2 pin and the motherboard is 3..". The Manual clearly shows only 2 pins are needed for the "power" switch. If you are talking about the "power on" light, you really don't even need it right now. It does not affect anything in the way the computer boots up. It is only there to let you know the computer is turned on. Any good local computer shop should be able to switch a 3 pin connector to a 2 pin connector if that is what needs to be done. The only thing a 3 pin connector type light does is have a green light for power on and a amber light for problem startups. Your motherboard does not even show this type of pin setup on the motherboard. It only shows a 2 pin setup which are the 3rd and 4th pins on the top row of the front panel pin set.

SRX660

yvain4

yvain4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello i have everything worked out and i have it up and running then power led was in backwards and as for the hardware.. thankfully its fine stupid 5.25 thermal take psu for the graphics card was causing it to not turn on.. Thank you very much for your detailed posts you really helped me out alot :) :)