Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Question about using another computer as an external hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Boogy619

Boogy619

• Pip
  • 2 posts
First of all, sorry if this is being posted in the word section.

Right now I'm using an Emachines computer with windows vista. I bought this computer because my old one (a Dell with Windows 2000) died from years of backed up spyware and viruses. Last time I used it it was so dead that I couldn't even open the disc drive to try and re-install windows, but thats a story for another day.

My question is, would it be possible for me to use my old computer as an external hard drive? I have tons of pictures, music (songs that I made and songs that my friends made), and documents that I never got a chance to save that I would love to get back. Please let me know if there's a way to do this. Thank you.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I do this quite often. I just installed a second hard drive in this Compaq SR2011WM computer that was out of a older computer that quit working on me. I switched the jumper on the hard drive to the slave position and found a dual drive cable to use. The Compaq came with a very short single drive cable to the original HD. Since it is a slave drive the operating system wont boot and if the drive is not damaged or corrupted you should be able to see all the files you had on the drive.

One thing you may have to do, if you have XP, is look up how to add your identity to the folders to be able to see the files. This security is the reason i will make folders in the "C" drive or on a second partition i make so i do not have to deal with it when i want to switch the drive to a newer computer.

As for using the old computer as a server, i would say yes to that. I am using a athlon 900 computer as a backup computer on my network of 7 computers. It works just fine for what it is needed for. One thing i must state here is that even tho i use a server for backups and file storage, i still do not completely trust any mechanical device, i also backup any data i do not want to lose to DVD's. With about 4.3 gigs on each DVD, and it only takes 10-15 minutes to backup that amount of data, I keep a complete set of backup DVD's also. This way i never lose any data at all.

SRX660

Boogy619

Boogy619

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok thanks for that info, but how do I go about doing that? What do I do and what will I need?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
With all the hype about Microsoft's Windows home server i thought you would be reading up on it. Personally i did not have a choice when i decided to have my own home server so i went with Linux and Apache for mine. So, heres soem websites.

http://www.htmlgoodi...cle.php/3499361

http://www.brennan.id.au/

http://www.linux-wat...9015653445.html

http://www.ubuntuhomeserver.org/

If these can't get you started then you really don't want one.

SRX660

redline582

redline582

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Making sure that your new PC has antivirus/software installed i usually just take the HDD out of the old computer and just attach it to your new one. If you look on your old one, on the top label of the HDD there will be a little diagram of the pins and the position of the jumper for it to be either "MASTER" "SLAVE" or "CABLE SELECT". Just take the jumper off (i usually use tweezers) and place it back on so it is in the "SLAVE" position. Open the case of your current computer and put it into the drive bay. Attach the IDE cable (im guessing it uses an IDE interface since it was running 2000) and attach the power cable. Obviously doing all of this while the computer is off and unplugged. Put the side panel back on the case and plug it back in and it should work. Good Luck!